Seychelles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psinyc

Reaction score
anyone familiar with Seychelles, and diving there? I spoke with someone who absolutely raved about this spot and it's beauty and privacy. He mentioned the only drawback was price?

Any diving info out there? (ie: viz, conditions, sealife, etc). From what I understood, it is off the SouthEast coast of Africa.

Thanks all.

I returned from the Seychelles 3 weeks ago. I dived from 2 different islands - Mahe and Praslin.

There is very rich marine life - varies depending on the season. I was there at a time of lower vis (5m) - they say it is up to 30m later in the year. Sept/Oct is meant to be good for clarity and calmness.

It is expensive to dive but it is an expensive place to visit. Part of the tourist board's strategy is to keep the prices high to retain its exclusivity! I'd recommend it, though.

Try www.islandventures.net/seychelles for more detailed info.

do you know hand when the best time off year is - for viz, sealife, etc?

There are a couple of good posts on this topic on rec.scuba.locations newsgroup. It is a new posting just in the last couple of days. It will give you more info on conditions etc. Best seems to be Oct-Dec-March in terms of viz. But when it's not good viz, with plankton etc, you might be lucky enough to see whalesharks. Different conditions bring different things to see. Unfortunately I didn;t see any whalesharks though they were around because the DM had seen 6 already early in the migratory season.

on the Seychelles, including speaking with people who have been. I never made it, but we blew it off on our honeymoon to spend more time in Botswana with the idea that we would get there someday. Information isn't easy to come by, but I recently read a very good article in a periodical, a journey to the southeastern (or western) islands, very remote, only accessable (unless you have your own ocean going boat) a few months of the year. I believe the article was in Skin Diver, but it may have been National Geographic.

Quite expensive. But, take some time to do the research as it is one of the most intersting travel destinations I have researched (I read a ton of off the beaten path travel information). The islands were formed when two continental plates split, and like the Galapagos, unique species literally evolved there. (Like the Galapagos they too are famous for their tortoises).

I spend a fair amount of time in Quogue, LI if you are ever in the neighborhood, I may have some information I can dig up. I gave most of my Africa information away recently to a non-diver and may have saved some Seychelles stuff.

The travel agent that specialized in that area was a guy named Phil Encarta, or Phil Something or other that sounds like that. He has a newletter and if memory serves me correctly he books from Africa. (Flights into the Seychelles are few and far between, I think there were two operators in Sept 98 when we got married... Air Seychelles that left from Nairobi and "Kenya Crash" that had flights from Nairobi, Dar Es Salaam and one other place... Mombasa maybe).

If you are looking at that type of thing, look at the Maldives too. There are some easier to get (yet still not really visitted) areas there too. Again, I'm speaking from research, not experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom