SF2 or REvo rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Fathom is an interesting unit. I disagree with the capped 1st stage/cmf plus needle valve thing. It's basically what a Pelagian would be if it wasn't made in a garage in Thailand. The first one was basically a Meg can and radial scrubber with BMCL's and a needle valve.

It's pretty purpose built for what they were using it for, hence the weird hybrid mCCR design. I think it's an interesting unit.

The Fathom is an interesting unit. I disagree with the capped 1st stage/cmf plus needle valve thing. It's basically what a Pelagian would be if it wasn't made in a garage in Thailand. The first one was basically a Meg can and radial scrubber with BMCL's and a needle valve.

It's pretty purpose built for what they were using it for, hence the weird hybrid mCCR design. I think it's an interesting unit.

I spent a week diving around a fathom a few weeks back and was impressed by the quality and the simplicity. I acutally really like the idea of the needle valve. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why you disagree so that I have a different persepective. I had learned about the Pelagian years back and liked the concept, so now I find the Fathom is basically a Pelagian done right.

My top 2 choices are still SF2 and Fathom, but Fathom is winning out. If possible I'd like to be in the same unit as my wife, and the SF2 is just too big for her. The SF2 does break down alot easier than the Fathom, but the Fathom is very light and much more travel friendly than I expected it to be.

I'd love to see the shorter can version of the SF2. I didn't mind the normal one when I did an SF2 demo but I'm of shorter stature and I'd prefer a unit that is not quite as long.

I'm also still looking at getting an SF2 sometime end of the summer. Jon showed be the Fathom at CCDS and I'm also intrigued by it. I'm used to diving a mCCR with an orifice so the Fathom appeals to me.

I'm just concerned since the company is really only one or two people and that there really aren't that many in existence right now. It looks like a solid unit but I hate being an early adopter for things. :)

An early adopter for a new model of CCR? What could possibly go wrong?! :wink:

I'll counter that slightly with some of the parts are "off the shelf" so they are proven. For example, Apeks first stages, Shearwater electronics, and the BOV are all components that can purchased new or swapped out easily. There is nothing "radical" about the design that would concern me really.

My hesitation is that the head is unique design and the electronics are potted in the head which can be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you look at it. Someone more knowledgeable on the Fathom CCR can correct me if I'm wrong since I don't want to spread misinformation.

It's a fairly simple design with some smart features, but as you said, it uses many proven parts. So I get Stuart's comments, but I think with the fathom it's an issue. On top of that, I don't foresee Charlie leaving people in the lurch if there's a problem. Considering he's a 2 hour drive from my house, as is Jon Bernot the IT, I feel pretty confident in being able to resolve any issue.

I was really just kind of teasing.

But, I look at some of the rebreathers laying around my shop that were "da sh!t" at the time and are now pretty well unsupported and it definitely would make me a little leery of investing that kind of money in a unit from a company that would be defunct if one key person left or croaked. Of course, what do I really know? Maybe every rebreather company (that makes any unit that people really want) is pretty much like that.

Seriously, I really don't know squat about the CCR industry, so it was just my initial reaction to the thought that made me (try to) crack a joke. I'll go back under my rock now.... :)

@rddvet the beauty of the needle valve is that you use an un-capped first stage.

Basically, with a normal CMF leaky valve, it is depth limited based on the IP of the first stage. In order to get more depth, you put in a stiffer spring. The end result, you've got a leaky valve that is non-adjustable for flow and is depth limited, and the resultant change in flow that comes from jacking the IP way up.

A needle valve doesn't have this limitation because you're essentially adjusting the size of the orifice on the fly to whatever you want. What's great about it is that you can tweak it to whatever you want, in relation to your metabolic rate. It really allows you to tune the O2 injection to wherever you want it. If I'm doing a long cave dive in no flow at a pretty static depth, I'll tweak it to almost perfectly match my metabolic rate. In doing so, I rarely have to manually inject O2 into the loop. If it's going to be a little more involved, I set it lower and just assume I will have to inject more, or I'll set it higher and remember that I've gotta turn it down once my metabolic rate evens out a little bit.

The only tricky thing is that when you radically change depth, you have to tweak it since it uses an uncapped first stage. However, that also means that when you deco out at 6m, you can whack it open and you're on a full O2 rebreather without having to do any intervention, as opposed to a CMF where you're still injecting manually, and since you're shallow and trying to maintain a high PO2, you're injecting pretty often.

I've heard from Charlie that the Fathom has a blocked first stage for "ease," but also that it has a needle valve, which sort of defeats the purpose for both, so I don't know what's going on..... pick one or the other. Personally I think a needle valve is much more versatile, so hopefully he just misspoke. Otherwise I'm really confused as to what's going on.

I think if I were interested in something similar and had issues with the Pelagian (understandable), I'd find a cheap COPIS Meg with the big radial, call up SubGravity or ATS and get some BMCL's, and get a needle valve MAV from one of several sources. Swap the handset for a Fischer cable and then you don't even need a battery in the head. That gets you a Fathom for much cheaper, and it's even simpler. Having dived both radial and axial scrubbers, I don't really see any appreciable difference, which means an inexpensive homebuilt is equally viable either way.

Another alternative would be to get an SF2 and swap the O2 MAV for a needle valve MAV. No depth limitation, and you can run the solenoid as a golden parachute. For squirrely cave, the streamlined profile and clutter free design is fantastic, even more so as a sidemount unit. You can still drive from offboard by shutting the dil MAV off, and if IP is higher in the offboard, it'll even run the ADV from offboard.

I just spent a few days with the SF2 in Florida, pretty much running it completely manual. After I'm super comfortable I may put a needle valve on it to turn it into a hybrid. Running a low set-point and keeping it up manually required a little more work than I wanted, but I still want to stay away from using the solenoid as much as I can. Just personal preference. That being said, the shearwater did a damn fine job of keeping me close to my setpoint when I did let it fly by itself.

The Fathom is a solid and elegant design that is the epitome of simplicity, any and all parts are compatible with other units on the market. I personally wouldn't worry about being an early adopter for one, even if Charlie were to move to Aruba and quit making the unit, you would be able to get parts to keep it running for 20+ years.

Full disclosure, I'm friends with the manufacturer. But really, there's nothing to "go wrong" on the unit.

@JohnnyC-
Ken may be able to respond better to what you said, as I may have misunderstood some of what I was explained about the Fathom. I'm not 100% sure if it's a blocked first or not, but I don't think it really matters for most of my diving. My understanding is as is, the unit is free and clear to 300feet. Beyond that, it's simply adjusting IP. No spring adjustment needed. I know Charlie picked his particular spring for it's qualities at depth. I'm sure there's a reasoning for his choices, considering the plethora of "big names" that aided in the design. It would be interesting to hear from someone that knows more about it concerning the blocked first and needle valve combo if that's correct.

I agree that the needle valve is awesome. After spending a week around the fathom, I really like the fine tuning ability with the needle valve.

I also agree with Ken. I can't imagine that even if Charlie takes a rocket to the moon that there will be an issue with servicing the unit.

Back
Top Bottom