SF2 or REvo rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you certified on any other rebreathers? I thought the Revo was great. I even said so here multiple times. Until I tried a BUNCH of other rebreathers. Today, I'm certified on 5 and teach for two. I'll never dive a Revo again.

No I am only certified on the rEvo, it was my intention to only ever get one unit and went for the best available at the time, I was never interested in upgrading every couple of years to the latest and greatest. Since I got my unit I have had an opportunity to dive a few other rebreathers such as the JJ, Kiss and Inspiration, had close look at many other units at dive shows and those used by dive buddies, all this has done is reinforced to me that I made the right decision.

It does seem that the rEvo is more affected by dive politics in the Florida region, where I note that you come from and probably distorts your view. From where I come from SE Australia, the rEvo is very well supported with a good instructor and service agent which was also another major point when I was looking at rebreathers.

No I am only certified on the rEvo, it was my intention to only ever get one unit and went for the best available at the time, I was never interested in upgrading every couple of years to the latest and greatest. Since I got my unit I have had an opportunity to dive a few other rebreathers such as the JJ, Kiss and Inspiration, had close look at many other units at dive shows and those used by dive buddies, all this has done is reinforced to me that I made the right decision.

It does seem that the rEvo is more affected by dive politics in the Florida region, where I note that you come from and probably distorts your view. From where I come from SE Australia, the rEvo is very well supported with a good instructor and service agent which was also another major point when I was looking at rebreathers.
Has nothing to do with region. Has to do with, it dives like crap. :)

Take this with a grain of salt. I currently dive a rEvo mCCR with a little over 400 hours on mine. I'm obviously biased as it's the only rebreather I've ever known. I still consider myself very green on rebreathers. This is my 3rd year on the rEvo just to give you some sort of a gauge of years vs. hours.

I did a bunch of research before buying. I tried several units on demos (Prism 2, KISS, rEvo) and most recently an SF2. I obviously don't have a vast ton of experience on different units.

I decided that at the time I liked a lot of the features on the rEvo better. For example, backmounted counterlungs, dual scrubbers, redundant pO2 monitoring with cells. I like diving and learning on a mCCR I feel It's kept me honest with the rule of always knowing your ppO2. I don't have to rely on a solenoid. I think learning to drive a rebreather manually has a lot of advantages for when and if the **** hits the proverbial fan.

People say the 5-6 cells and redundant ppO2 monitoring may be a marketing gimmicky but it's saved my ass a few times when I had a cell die on a trip (yes...I keep spare/backup cells but it's dead simple to just rotate a cell). I simply removed a cell from my secondary monitoring, put it on my Petrel and re-calibrated. No fuss, no drama and I didn't even make my dive buddies late getting in the water.

I'm an IT guy and I'm one of those people that thinks more information and data points are a GOOD thing.

Regarding flood tolerance..I've never flooded my unit although it's always pretty wet inside after 2+ hour dives. This is something that always concerned me compared to other units but it's never caused issues with any of my cell readings. If I have the opportunity between dives I ring out my shammys and clean any moisture/condensation out of the unit as best I can. If you're planning 6-8 hour dives this may be a problem. I truthfully don't know the answer to this as my longest dive-to-date on my rEvo has only been been a little over 4 hours.

It's not a big deal to me anymore and it's routine habit but it does suck to have to open the unit (Hint: Anytime you break the loop for whatever reason you're going to want to re-do your positive/negative tests.)

Let me correctly myself slightly, the one and only time I did "flood" it was while climbing up a boat ladder due to poor DSV management in heavy seas at the end of the day so I didn't lose any diving. This was when I was at something like 20 hours on the unit. The unit was probably still dive-able but it was end of the day so I didn't try finding out and didn't want to test that theory.

Since then I've lost exactly ONE dive since I've owned the rEvo and it was entirely my fault. I over-torqued the brass fitting that goes to the constant mass orifice and must have cracked the fitting. Stupid me. I was on a dive at 150' and kept noticing my ppO2 climb up steadily but not rapidly. I flushed the unit down several times. By the third time I knew something wasn't right and ascended, feathered my O2 on/off and ended the dive on the unit. No bailout, no major drama. Just knew something wasn't right.

Upon inspection the surface the fitting was cracked and allowed more O2 than I wanted to escape into the loop. This only happened because I took the orifice and check value off to clean them in my ultrasonic after I had discovered that I had been diving with a slightly clogged orifice for a while and my O2 flow rate was down (verified on a flow meter).

It's a simple part to find anywhere in the United States at Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, etc but try finding 1/8" NPT coupling on a remote island in Scotland (Orkney Islands, Scapa Flow). Turns out 1/8" BSP with ample teflon tape is close enough so that I could limp by for the rest of the week :)

So yeah those are the issues I've had with the rEvo. I'll break it down a little bit with a list

Pros
-Dual scrubbers (minimize chance of CO2 breakthrough and efficient sorb usage. I don't have RMS..another debate there..
-No "head" to send back for service. If your controller fails, run manually. See my notes under Cons.
-Super negative. If you dive a drysuit with thick/heavy undergarments you'll like this. If you have a wetsuit it will certainly be a con. If you dive somewhere in the middle then it could be a pro or con.
-Backmounted counterlungs supports cleaner chest profile like OC
-Easy for travel (It was important factor for me but I've taken it carry-on many times)
-Redundant electronics / 5-6 O2 cells (Gimmick? You tell me but it's saved dives for me.)
-Easy access to counterlungs for cleaning/disinfection. Hose out, air dry.
-Easy breakdown (bias here but I've watched other people breakdown their units and my maintenance takes slightly less time.)
-Easy build process (bias here again but I've watched other build their units. I think the rEvo has a relatively simple build

Cons
-Absolutely no flood tolerance. None. If you have anything larger than a cup of water enter the loop, you should bailout.
-WOB. This truly never bothered me. It comes with territory of most backmounted lung lung units. I fix this "issue" with copious amounts of Helium in my diluent.
-Super negative in water. In a wetsuit I'm a boat anchor. I dive a stainless steel mini. Maybe the titanium unit would be better. If the majority of your diving in in a thin wetsuit you're going to be super negative.
-****** rEvoDreams for secondary monitoring. When they work..they work great. I admittedly was a fan of them for a while. For reason they decided to solder the battery in the new rEvodream P5s. Stupid. I've had piezo switches die and I've had one flood on me at 200ft. This is an easy fix. Buy a Shearwater NERD and be done with rEvoDreams.
-Apple philosophy of not selling the end-user parts and telling you there are no user serviceable parts inside the case. rEvo and the service center do not want you opening the unit up. They tell you everything must be done by rEvo service center.
-Counterlungs..again. I've been up until 1AM aquasealing pinholes in my counterlungs with the entire case off.
-Ironically the reason I bought into the rEvo was the supposed philosophy of everything is replaceable by the user and there is no "head" to send back for service. Try replacing or buying counterlungs or buying or replacing the O2 supply lines/bulkheads inside the case..

So where does that leave us? I'm shopping for my next rebreather as we speak. I just demoed the SF2 on Saturday and did a leisurely 60 minute dive in one at depths of 20-50'. Still better than a pool.

Overall I still have lots of questions but here is what I really liked about the SF2..

Flood tolerance. For me this is a huge advantage. I'm starting to gradually do longer dives and think about the future. I really want my next unit to have some sort of flood tolerance. True it's never been an issue on my rEvo but if I ever have the opportunity to be 4-5+ hours in the back of a cave and/or facing 4-5+ hours of decompression in the ocean, you can bet i want something with flood tolerance and the ability to de-water the loop.

Easier to reach valves (for me). I have short t-rex hands. The tanks on the SF2 sit closer to my back. I can reach them very easily without any contortion necessary in thick undergarments. This was awesome for me but this is not unique to the SF2. I can reach Prism2 valves easier too and I imagine JJ and other rebreathers with "cans."

Trims out nicely. I had no issues trimming one out. I didn't have to do anything special. The counterlung on the bottom seems to lend itself well to keeping you horizontal in the water. Some rEvo divers suffer with this and have to resort to placing 8lbs of lead on the top of the unit and/or switching to lighter fins. I think my trim in the rEvo is not bad but I've seen some rEvo dives that look like sea horses.

WOB was no better or worse. Honestly this was a none issue for me coming from the rEvo and I was diving air diluent. I almost never have air diluent in my rEvo :)

Cells stayed very dry. The cells were dryer than my rEvo but it was only a one hour dive. I was reading about a potential issue about Cell #2 on SF2 occasionally getting wet. Maybe it's a none issue now?

Nice MAVs. I really liked the placement and ease of access.

I'm not sold on the counterlung up my a*s but it's not exactly a deal breaker either. Considering I can actually BUY them and replace them myself.

Going back to the rEvo. For me the rEvo is like a first love/child. It's all I've known for rebreathers so there is obvious bias there. I still don't think it's a bad choice and I'm still not discounting getting another one as my next rebreather.

Like with everything there doesn't seem to be a one-size-fits-all approach to rebreathers. You have people with very strong opinions who are convinced that the glorified humidifier on their back that they just spend $10K on is the best unit on the market.

Last edited:
Sounds like sour grapes from highly strung tech instructor who was not approved to teach on the unit in his region.
I never wanted to be a Revo instructor. Never tried. Someone introduced me to an optima and I sold my revo the next day. That was 3 years ago. I only became a ccr instructor this year.

I'm looking to get into the rebreather world and have the hard questions to answer. Which unit do I select? I have narrow the field down to two rebreather units, the SF2 and rEvo. I would like to ask the community their thoughts (constructive please) on the both units.

I do realize that both units are very good and will do their jobs is you take care of them and dive correctly. What I'm looking for in the discussion is the finer details and longer term considerations.

Thanks all,
well, best way to leave all the politics (and nonsense) out of the debate, maybe do a good trydive and unit build-up/tear down on both units, and see for yourself
best
paul

I think maybe the best thing is to quantify your needs and desires.

Want easy assembly and stupid easy operation? Get a Pelagian.
mCCR? Get a Pelagian
Protected counterlung? Get an SF2
Redundant scrubber? Get a rEVO
Bombproof construction (literally)? Get a Meg

Point is, asking for suggestions without knowing the type of diving you're going to be doing, the features you desire most, the things you're trying to stay away from, etc. is difficult

I think maybe the best thing is to quantify your needs and desires.

Want easy assembly and stupid easy operation? Get a Pelagian.
mCCR? Get a Pelagian
Protected counterlung? Get an SF2
Redundant scrubber? Get a rEVO
Bombproof construction (literally)? Get a Meg

Point is, asking for suggestions without knowing the type of diving you're going to be doing, the features you desire most, the things you're trying to stay away from, etc. is difficult
Ok seeing as you ask Im also looking at a rebreather and so maybe you can help narrow it down fro me
Im currently doing OC cold water diving in low vis
wreck dives - so low profile advantageous i want to do more exploration would like more time up my sleeve to have longer bottom time
Using Sidemount at present
most dives are 60 minutes 30-35m using 50 % for deco
difficulty getting in and out of boats with twins - shoulder problems find it difficult to do shut down drills
Want to extend my deep diving beyond 60m without spending a fortune on helium
do 2- 3 trips overseas a year
from my reading I've narrowed it down to 3 but would like to hear other opinion
thanks in advance

@JohnnyC
That is a good point and let me quantify my need and dive direction. (Thanks @lermontov my diving is close to your, But I would like to bring the thread back to my question)

Diving location:
Mostly cold water in the USA NW. Avg water temp is 50f.
My dive history: Currently i'm OC Drysuit diver with no CCR experience. I have a two dive buddies that are diving rEvo and another that dives SF2.
My direction in diving: Photography and being able to stay down longer while chasing Nemo along with seeing more location that are currently out of reach of my single tank.
Dive Frequency: I normally dive once to twice a week in local waters. The dive buddies goes out on local boat dives a few time a year. Warm water diving once or twice a year

Reason for Rebreather:

1. Underwater photography
2. Able to get to most site and wrecks (depth/time)
3. Less weight compare to doubles tanks
4. Gas cost

What I want in a Rebreather:
1. Redundancy in critical system. Since I plan on doing underwater photography, I do plan on getting the NERD. I have learned that is easy to get lost in the photography moment and lose focus on stats.
2. Easy of use (setup and teardown)
3. Able to fix or replace simple parts myself
4. Able to travel with the unit
5. I'm entering into tech and need to decide on which direction to go (doubles or side mount) and the rebreather appear to be the better option.
6. Quality beginner unit that wouldn't break the budget. I don't want to be cheep about life support system that I really need underwater, but I don't need the top end new shinny thing too. So good quality used system would work fine.
7. A unit that I can really learn how to dive correctly. What I'm referring too, is that if something in the electronic or automatic systems craps out, I want to be able to get my butt back to the truck. I'll take bailout, but really don't want to rely on that option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom