SHADOW DIVERS EXPOSED: The Real Saga of the U-869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the usual chortling 'keyboard bullies' had a blast with adolescent flames.

Hmmmm. I saw you doing this in another thread and pointed it out but you never responded. Perhaps you should try not playing the "victim" when you do the same thing...:wink:

I've read both books. Personally, I find it hard to take someone serious when they feel the need to blast others just to try and improve their image. Do I think Richie and John are GODS? Hell no, but I do respect what they've done. As for GG, I respect what he's done also, but due to his "what about me" whining campaign, I have much less sympathy for him and his plight.
Do I think Bob Kurson's book is the absolute truth. No, it's a book based on the recollections of divers who were there. Ask any 2 people about an incident and you'll get conflicting views. The one thing that everyone seems to agree upon is JC brought up the evidence that identified the sub. That's enough for me.
There's a famous quote that I'm going to paraphrase...."History is written in the voice of the victor" and it's a true statement, and applies to this topic as well.
That being said, I do look forward to seeing Shadow Divers being made into a movie.
C-Dawg

Have only read Shadow Divers, which I thought was a great read. The other book claims to be the definitive book on the subject but seems short on evidence and long on supposition. If I recall, Gary Gentile and Kohler/Chatterton are rivals, or at least not on the same team? Seems Gentile feels left out and now wants to write "his own version" to share the fame?

His title offers to be a solid refutation of Shadow Divers but appears, from what people are saying that read it, not the case.

Diver Dennis:
Hmmmm. I saw you doing this in another thread and pointed it out but you never responded. Perhaps you should try not playing the "victim" when you do the same thing...:wink:

First, what does your post have to do with this thread's topic? :confused:

Victim...I don't think so.:shakehead
Frustrated with moderator deleted substantive posts? You bet!

Chortling?....Yes , there are about 5 SB posters that appear to have nothing better to do than to flame and amuse each other. Keyboarding insults and flames, they become quite abrasive and "brave". No need to even go outdoors! These same posters have seldom posted any meaningful and useful information, just put-downs, criticisms, and cute quips.

My concern is that new SB members will be inhibited from posting sincere questions.
I certainly am not. Using the 'short list' is the perfect solution.

Now back to topic?:huh:

pilot fish:
Have only read Shadow Divers, which I thought was a great read. The other book claims to be the definitive book on the subject but seems short on evidence and long on supposition. If I recall, Gary Gentile and Kohler/Chatterton are rivals, or at least not on the same team? Seems Gentile feels left out and now wants to write "his own version" to share the fame?

His title offers to be a solid refutation of Shadow Divers but appears, from what people are saying that read it, not the case.

Shadow Divers written by Robert Kurson, who had written only 2 books previously....Three Stooges Cookbook and the weighty tome, Complete KnuckleHead's Guide to the Three Stooges.

Shadow Divers Exposed, written by wreck diving authority, Gary Gentile, author of 30 books on wreck diving.

Duh, which one would think is more credible??
:rofl3:

Attachments

• stooges.jpg
    stooges.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 98
tonka97:
Shadow Divers written by Robert Kurson, who had written only 2 books previously....Three Stooges Cookbook and the weighty tome, Complete KnuckleHead's Guide to the Three Stooges.

Shadow Divers Exposed, written by wreck diving authority, Gary Gentile, author of 30 books on wreck diving.

Duh, which one would think is more credible??
:rofl3:

Kurson's book seems to be more valid and does not have an ax to grind. Not too interested in what Kurosn wrote before because his book stands or falls on its own merit.

If you title a book that claims to descredit another book on the same subject, you expect it to be filled with facts and positively show how the previous book was inaccurate. That is not the case, it seems. By just giving a possible alternative to the original story amounts to just that, A POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE. If you claim to EXPOSE then you must fullfil that goal and Gentile seems to be short, way short, of that goal.

tonka97:
Chortling?....Yes , there are about 5 SB posters that appear to have nothing better to do than to flame and amuse each other. Keyboarding insults and flames, they become quite abrasive and "brave". No need to even go outdoors! These same posters have seldom posted any meaningful and useful information, just put-downs, criticisms, and cute quips.

You should be including yourself in this group.

pilot fish:
Kurson's book seems to be more valid and does not have an ax to grind. Not too interested in what Kurosn wrote before because his book stands or falls on its own merit.

If you title a book that claims to descredit another book on the same subject, you expect it to be filled with facts and positively show how the previous book was inaccurate. That is not the case, it seems. By just giving a possible alternative to the original story amounts to just that, A POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE. If you claim to EXPOSE then you must fullfil that goal and Gentile seems to be short, way short, of that goal.

"Seems more valid"???? ..Ok...let's just suspend reality!

Ax to grind?....Nope, Gentile documents and credits the TRUE researchers, explorers, and discoverers. He does not take credit for any substantive role in U-869. This is unfortunate for Gentile's critics; without their personal attack on Gentile, they are left with the undisputed facts, as presented in Shadow Divers Exposed.

You guys really do need to think and read more, and pound your keyboard less.
:coffee:

tonka97:
"Seems more valid"???? ..Ok...let's just suspend reality!

Ax to grind?....Nope, Gentile documents and credits the TRUE researchers, explorers, and discoverers. He does not take credit for any substantive role in U-869. This is unfortunate for Gentile's critics; without their personal attack on Gentile, they are left with the undisputed facts, as presented in Shadow Divers Exposed.

You guys really do need to think and read more, and pound your keyboard less.
:coffee:

What FACTS does Gentile have to dispute Kuron's book? You said "discoverers". Is Gentile, or you, claiming Chatertton was not the one that found out the identity of that U boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom