Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because the last time he did it was mostly lies, and then they got a show that most made fun of. Grant it that some of that was probably due to the editiors who do the final cuts.

I personaly have nothing against the two but know from first hand accounts about the stories written by them and gary. Just think it is BS to write **** and say its true when it is not.

For the sake of curiosity; what has JC written that is BS?

The show came about because of the documentary "Hitler's Lost Sub", done by PBS for NOVA. The documentary was shown in 2000. The book "Shadow Divers" came about due to the documentary as well. The book was published in 2004.

Some of the folks involved in the documentary pitched the show idea after filming the documentary.

Because the last time he did it was mostly lies, and then they got a show that most made fun of. Grant it that some of that was probably due to the editiors who do the final cuts.
Neither John or Ritchie wrote the "last" book about them. The man who did write it interviewed a BUNCH of people to get it right. Still sounds like more sour grapes and an outright misrepresentation.
I personaly have nothing against the two
Whoa! First you call them liars and then you suggest that you have nothing against them? Which is it? Sounds pretty disingenuous to me as it sounds intensely personal. Your credibility is taking a nose dive.
but know from first hand accounts about the stories written by them and gary. Just think it is BS to write **** and say its true when it is not.
So, you've made a decision about who is lying based on hearing only ONE side of the story. I'm gonna stick with Bernie on this. Somehow, I get the feeling that he is far more fair than your sources are.

Because the last time he did it
I almost missed this strawman. You never answered my contention that he has not dropped from diving and seeking out new wrecks. You just diverted it to something else.

I know for a fact that John is working in the Dominican Republic (along with Howarde) and partnering with the DR government in locating Colonial era wrecks. I post this only with permission to do so. There is much more that I cannot comment on. There is no need to impugn John's honor because Gary wrote such a mean spirited piece.

Should have been more clear, finding and diving new wrecks and or exploring. I dnt plan on winning this argument but i find these threads humorous.

Richie comes to Thailand every year and him and his divers, lots of them regulars so i think they're not getting ripped off, fund our exploratory expeditions.

John has been out twice too.

We've found about half a dozen decent wrecks on their trips, plus a lot of old rubbish.

If I was you, I too wouldn't plan on winning this argument, because you're talking rubbish! ( like your mate )

The thing about diving is that you have to s**t yourself sometimes. The how the fxxk did I get out of that or what the fxxk am I doing now. I've been reading Gary Gentile for 20 years and including John Chatterton and Ritchie Kohler they make for good authors and characters. Very helpful in setting a bar of achievement in what I consider normal diving. Now. Three blokes revered worldwide becuse they just went out and did stuff. Read Kurson about 2 years ago and it seemed like I'd read it before. Would have ejoyed it more had the two principals written it. Was Gentile mentioned once somewhere? Good luck to everyone I recon including me because I'm going off to buy read the exposed book with some fermented grapes, and because after some of these posts I've figured why Bill Nagle drank.

Last edited:
Was Gentile mentioned once somewhere?

Gary is mentioned once in Shadow Divers: he is referred to as "legendary wreck diver, Gary Gentile".

Sad but true

I can't believe this is still ongoing almost 4 years now.
Everyone has their opinions & all I have to say is buy both books, read them & make your own call.
I did, enjoyed both of them, I have met Gary, nice guy.
Never met John C. or Ritchie K., but hold nothing against them, they do some great dives & wish I had the resources to do them also.
Best part of SDE for me was the appendixes, had a lot of info of sites I do dive off the Mid- Atlantic.
I hope to dive the U-869 soon myself.

Back
Top Bottom