Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tracey,

We did 57 episodes of DSD, which is a lot of TV. Some of the episodes were really good, with all the credit going to the producers. They had tight budgets, tough schedules, and had to work with a couple of Jersey wreck divers. Not easy.

Some of the episodes, were not so good? When the prodicer has a nervous breakdown, the program ultimately suffers. The bad ones are burried in my back yard, where they belong.

Regardless, I am glad you took the time to tell me you liked both DSD and SD. Hopefully, next time you will get to dive instead.

Cheers

JC

Dear Mr Chatterton,

I don't have a TV and until recently, didn't know you were part of Deep Sea Detectives.

I just spent a few days before Christmas in Florida hoping to get some dives in. On my 3rd dive, I started to get sick and spent the next 2 days a patient in my friends guestroom before flying home. Kind of a bummer but, these things happen.

Anyhoo, my dive buddy had a copy of 2 your Deep Sea Detectives videos. North Carolina Wrecks and Secret Underwater Caves (Cozumel) I watched both of them a couple of times and didn't get bored. TV usually bores me and most diving stuff on tv isn't all that entertaining.

Anyhoo, just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed them as well as Shadow Divers.

You put out good stuff.

Tracey

Vshearer:
the only guy that has Richie's beard is in the upper left of the photo

MikeBsUDS:
that's definitely Richie on the left. He must have lost a bet...

Ok guys....Answer: Richie isn't on the boat...

...but you came as close as you could to the right answer. I thought he looked alot like Richie in that photo...

He is an occasional dive buddy named Bill and he comes each year to take part in the Mike Norwood Memorial dives.

Mike was one of John's co-hosts on DSD who passed away tragically filming one of the episodes. His wife Diana set up a memorial through DAN and one of the places they have a fund raiser each year is in Morehead City, NC, at Olympus Dive Center. It is a great time for a great cause...Dive accident research. If anyone ever has a chance to attend, you will have a great time...3 days of diving and a banquet with great food...John has been there every single year in support of the memorial...

I know.....This has nothing to do with the photo...Just a plug for the event...

Funny thing about Bill...If you ever met him, he looks absolutely nothing like Richie Kohler. He is a tall thin guy, but with that hat over his face he sure looked like Richie to me. See below.....

Bill is bottom right...John is top left...Joe Porter, Editor of Wreck Diving Magazine, is next to John. BTW...This wasn't during the memorial. Joe hosts a wreck hunting event each September at Olympus and that is where this photo was taken...at breakfast one morning.
100_1979.jpg

Almost as tall as I am 6'4"...which is quite abit taller than Richie:)
DSCN1886.jpg

Last edited:

Gee Bobby! "God forbid" was the reaction I was hoping for...:D

But OMG works! Remember what they did to Clive Cusslers SAHARA!

William H. Macy as Sandecker? GIMME A BREAK!

(don't even get me started on who they cast as Pitt and Giordino!):lotsalove:

Anyway...sorry 'bout the hijack, back to your regularly scheduled interview with JC....

Ben...

OK....God forbid!!!:)....Those two probably wouldn't do it anyway because it may cause them to mess up their hair...That was mean...I'm just jealous:)

I have read almost every Cussler book except Sahara...I couldn't even read the book because I saw a trailer to the movie and couldn't get the picture of Matthew MConasomething out of my head playing Pitt. Pitt is older and a bit rougher around the edges...well seasoned...Talking of OMG...Yeah...the guy they cast as Giordano....I surely...God I hope the casting people don't screw up on SD like they did Sahara....

Now...If Pitt and Giordino were real people...Who better to play John and Richie!!!

Well, it isn't really a hijack because John is always connected in here somehow...

Last edited:
Those beanbag chairs on the sun deck were a fine idea. I usually try and stay out of the sun down in the crew bunk but some good z's have been had up there.
There were some fine George stories told the other night at Bobby P's birthday party, including his choice of masks....He is sorely missed.
Mike

Mike...

They are great!!!...If I was ever able to get in one....

If you see Bobby P., tell him Bobby R said Happy Birthday!

The old Mike Nelson type mask, but he was old school:)

Very sorely missed...

I will probably see him tomorrow and will do so....couple times last year when Bud, George and I were working the boat we were laughing about being a geriatric crew, and needing help to get our walkers up the dock....
Bobby will do a great job......
Mike

No doubt he will!!!

By the way...Add me to the geriatrics list:)

Fox is looking at the latest version of the script. If I am as lucky as I have been in the past, then they will green light it. But to tell the truth, that is all I know? We can car pool!

Cheers

JC

So what is the status of the Shadow Diver movie? I'm going to be there on opening day!

Back
Top Bottom