Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All,

Rob Kurson is an extremely talented writer, and Richie and I were incredibly fortunate to work with him. Rob's initial goal was to write a popular book, a bestseller and he did exactly that. It became #2 on the NYT Non-Fiction Bestseller List. Random House has printed about a million copies, an audio book, and last time I checked there were 21 different foreign language versions. Rob made Shadow Divers a successful book.

It was never our intention to write a text book, a history book, or a reference book. You cannot fit the entire story of the Battle of the Atlantic, the story of several Uboats and their crew members, as well as the life stories of a bunch of wreck divers, into a 300 page book. This is just a fact of life.

Rob, as the author, selected what went in and what was left out. The book is Rob's perspecive of events. All authors do this. Rob is a ruthless researcher and there are things in the book that do not coincide with my recollections, but are written as told to Rob by third parties (like my ex-wife, or other divers). He evaluated the credibility of his sources to determine what he felt was most accurate. If you want a bunch of boring minutia, this book is not for you. Rob wrote a very dramatic rendering of a true story.

I have read though this thread and it covers a lot of ground. I recognize some of the posters and appreciate all the nice commets. I certainly don't have the time to beat a dead horse, but I can't help but wonder what 5 issues Tonka has with Shadow Divers??? Why 5?

If Tonka posts his 5 questions about Shadow Divers, I will do my best to answer them here:"Tonka97's 5 Scenarios for John Chatterton".

Cheers

COOL, Hi John, how's it going.

This is what is so cool about SB!!!!! The access that a new diver like myself has to all the knowledge and experience that member divers like John can offer.

John - welcome to SB from a fellow NJ wreck diver.

Hopefully we'll see you out on the Gypsy Blood again sometime soon!

Ray

Welcome to the board John. That was a very informative first post. It's nice to get a first side perspective on the writing of the book. I invite you and really hope to see you post again soon. I am sure I speak for the majority of people on this board when I tell you that there are many people who would love to have an interactive dialogue with you and be regaled by tales from your storied career. Once again, thank you for posting and I hope to hear more from you.
Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom