Shameless plug for the Humane Society

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dude. Chill with the exclamation points already. This was a nice little thread about stray/orphaned dogs and cats and the people that care for them and then you arrived.

Go back to the Fiji forum and continue blasting Kai Viti, I think there's a couple threads in need of an exclamation point. We have our quota of exclamation pointers on this forum already.

Check out this thread, you'll love him even more:

The Cenotes of the Yucatan 2009!

Sorry for the hijack Christi, keep up the excellent work. I'll look for you downtown while I'm there in a little over a week.

What a good looking dog. Any ideas what breed or mix Bella is?

It is always fun to see the parade of dogs walking to the square on Sunday nights.

Just making people aware that the National Organization can't be trusted for the welfare of animals! Their agenda is to end pet ownership and have killed thousands of "Pets" to save them! Awareness and understanding aren't any more political than this thread itself! The agenda is the important issue! I have been aware of the Cozumel animal problems for over twenty years! I also give kudos to those PEOPLE who do work hard for the basic agenda of saving and placing neglected dogs and cats! Life is better with a pet!

If in fact you are referring to the Cozumel Humane Society (CHS)- you are not as informed as you claim to be and your statements are offensive.

*I can assure you with 1000% certainty, that ending pet ownership IS NOT the mission or goal of the CHS. It is their goal to control the homeless pet population by EDUCATING, spaying, neutering, adoption programs, and providing economical health care for pets.

The COZUMEL Humane Society IS NOT a National Organization and receives no federal funding in any way, shape or form.

The CHS is a purely LOCAL organization and is a textbook example of a grass roots non-profit organization comprised of, managed, and operated 1000% by volunteers and funded by donations (in time and money) from these same volunteers, donations from generous local businesses/locals & tourists, and generous veterinarians who CARE. The CHS also now has an adoption program set up with a shelter in Boulder, CO thanks to one of our fearless leaders, Andrea!

*Andrea also headed up a project to rescue the out of control stray cats in the Playa del Carmen all-inclusives hotels. She rescued several and they are in the Cozumel shelter waiting for adoption.

*Just last week, Andrea and another volunteer picked up several dogs from the remote north and east side beaches (military base) to have them spayed and neutered - they were taken back to the military base at the NE end of the island once they recovered from the procedures.

Maybe you should actually go visit the Humane Society next time you're here and you'll see just how terribly misinformed you are.

Last edited:
If in fact you are referring to the Cozumel Humane Society - you are not as informed as you claim to be.

The COZUMEL Humane Society IS NOT a National Organization and receives no federal funding in any way, shape or form.

The CHS is the textbook example of a grass roots non-profit organization comprised of, managed, and operated 1000% by volunteers and funded by donations (in time and money) from these same volunteers, donations from generous local businesses/locals & tourists, and generous veterinarians who CARE. The CHS also now has an adoption program set up with a shelter in Boulder, CO thanks to one of our fearless leaders, Andrea!

Maybe you should actually go visit the Humane Society next time you're here and you'll see just how misinformed you are.

Thanks Christi, your dog is adorable. Andrea sure does great work along with the rest of the Cozumel Humane Society. Some people like to think everything is done with an agenda instead of just being done for good.

Brian

The vets and volunteers at the Coz Humane Society do whatever needs to be done to help the condition of animals and encourage harmonious living between animals and people. When I first moved to Coz, there was a "cat problem" at our condo complex -- the cats were screaming & fighting at night, spraying and tearing up the cushions on outdoor furniture and driving the resident dogs crazy.
CHS volunteers Sheryl, Teresa and Andrea worked with me almost daily for two months to trap, neuter, and either release the cats or find them homes. We trapped a lot of cats, including a pregnant female and a kitten with a broken hip, leg and femur -- both required special surgery and both were later adopted. The only costs were for canned food to put in the traps and the heavily-discounted bill from a private vet for the hip repair. At Andrea's suggestion, we set up a feeding station and the remaining cats formed a quiet, social group and became friendly toward humans.
Good work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom