Shannon Lewis - The True Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure you meant 'inversely' proportional, and I agree. Unfortunately, lawyers often muck that up. Lawyers want to make their job easier: not yours.

I've always noticed hearsay is indirectly proportional to the facts shared by those involved.

Ever heard a rumor about Jim Miller's death? Exactly.

Spot on in your thinking. I was admonished within a couple of hours to keep my mouth shut, and my fingers off the keyboard by my insurance company's lawyers.

The Jim Miller accident was fully disclosed within hours and no hearsay was generated. It was the right thing to do and I applaud Todd etal for that full disclosure. I wish I had done the same thing. Hindsight is 20/20. :(

The dilemma for me was abide by the lawyers' demands or alienate the lawyer so they may or may not work for me to their fullest potential/ability. This was all very new ground for me.

Spot on in your thinking. I was admonished within a couple of hours to keep my mouth shut, and my fingers off the keyboard by my insurance company's lawyers.

The Jim Miller accident was fully disclosed within hours and no hearsay was generated. It was the right thing to do and I applaud Todd etal for that full disclosure. I wish I had done the same thing. Hindsight is 20/20. :(

The dilemma for me was abide by the lawyers' demands or alienate the lawyer so they may or may not work for me to their fullest potential/ability. This was all very new ground for me.

i think you probably made the right call

I almost always vote for doing what your lawyer says

I headed communications for a large organization that frequently dealt with contentious issues that would likely involve litigation. We frequently wrestled with the question of waiting for the courts and lawyers to be done with the matter...which can take many, many years during which you say nothing and may have to agree to a gag order at some point, meanwhile losing the battle in the court of public opinion, or fight it in the court of public opinion from the outset. Lawyers hate the latter...communicators prefer it.

2013 and THIS is the first post? I gotta think someone's gotta a sock puppet. Surely this can't be the first thread worthy of breaking your silence.

At any rate...
I have all the court documents. It should be every word spoken under oath. Not just the few depositions. Email me if you want them.

Surely there is nothing more to learn on this thread by either side. I've no dog in the fight but this dog fight should be called. :plain:

At any rate...
I have all the court documents. It should be every word spoken under oath. Not just the few depositions. Email me if you want them.

Post the court documents here....I am under some sort of legal requirement for non-disclosure, but you are not.

If they are too large for Scubaboard FTP them up to your website and provide a link here.

Jim and I had a very nice chat the night before last. I truly understand his point of view but we both agreed that there were mistakes made. Jim has put changes to ensure that the situation does not happen again. Let's let it go and move on to more and safer diving. Let's learn from the past and strive for a better future.

I headed communications for a large organization that frequently dealt with contentious issues that would likely involve litigation. We frequently wrestled with the question of waiting for the courts and lawyers to be done with the matter...which can take many, many years during which you say nothing and may have to agree to a gag order at some point, meanwhile losing the battle in the court of public opinion, or fight it in the court of public opinion from the outset. Lawyers hate the latter...communicators prefer it.

Lawyers are communicators, but we are often communicating with different strategic goals in mind, and/or are communicating to a different audience than you . . .

In the past when I practiced law, I spent countless billable hours mopping up the messes made by people who opened their big mouths first, and thought about it second (or fired off an email first, and thought about it second). Some of my clients could have saved themselves millions of dollars by STFU for a while and calming down and thinking strategically before opening their big pie-holes and blurting out some poorly-articulated stuff.

Usually when people speak or when we bang out an email, we do so almost at the same time as we think. That's dumb, because what people get when they listen to us talk or when they read our casual writings is a first draft. First drafts almost always suck, and they rarely articulate our thoughts and feelings accurately. So: here's some free advice from a guy who used to charge hundreds of bucks an hour: think before you say or write something. (And if it involves a fatality: STFU until you've discussed it with your lawyer.) The court of public opinion can usually wait a day or two.

... my NiTek Duo computer from the dive that day...It’s also been suggested that this minor discrepancy may be due to a calibration error of the computer...

In the FWIW category, I dive a Predator with a Duo as a backup. My daughter also dives a Duo. Both of our Duos are set for seawater. At 20 feet, all three computers read the same. But at depths less than 40 to 50, my Duo reads a minimun of 2 feet deeper than my Shearwater and my daughter's Duo. So, calibration errors make sense to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom