Sharing Your Current BP/W Gear List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because if there's anything divers hate, it's having to talk about their rigs. :D

(All gear selected for Great Lakes diving)
1) DSS SS plate
2) DSS 35 lbs wing, no STA needed
3) DSS harness, aka standard Hogarthian harness that anyone can whip together, with extra pieces of inner tube
4) Deep6 Signature First
5) Deep6 Signature Seconds
6) Mares Smart something-or-other I got on sale
7) 1.5" Deep6 spg, soon to be replaced with Deep6 2" brass-n-glass because the extra 1/2" is worth it
8) Rubber hoses, because having hair on the back of your neck ripped out by braided hoses gets old fast
Extra stuff on harness:
9) glotube and backup light, knife and line cutter, extra doubleender

I think my rig is probably fairly standard:

Single Tank:
1. Backplate - Scubapro AL BP
2. Wing - Scubapro X-Tek 30# single tank wing
3. Harness - Hogarthian Harness with 4 D-rings and HOG weight pouches and crotch strap and Aqualung Squeeze Knife
4. Primary 1st stage - Scubapro MK25
5. Primary 2nd stage - Scubapro S600
6. Computer - Sherwater Perdix AI / Subgear XP-3G
7. SPG - Scubapro brass SPG
8. Hoses - All Rubber

Doubles:
1. Backplate - Hollis Stainless Steel
2. Wing - Hollis LX45
3. Harness - Hogarthian with Scubapro X-Tek Weight Pouches/Scubamax Knife and Sheath
4. Primary 1st stage - 2x Scubapro MK17
5. Primary 2nd stage - Scubapro G260 / Scubapro R195
6. Computer - Sherwater Perdix AI / Subgear XP-3G
7. SPG - Scubapro brass SPG
8. Hoses - All Rubber

If you don't mind, how tall are you? I'm 6' 3" and worried about the shorter plates. Thanks
6’5” standard plate can work but the long plate fits better.

It is all fine to find out what people are using but what is really important is what can you get?

DSS is shuttered at the moment and may never return.
VDH has been on back order for wings for months. I've been trying to get a wing since July.

So what the OP really needs to know what are the best BP/W options he can actually get?

Who makes the best BP/W you can order tomorrow?

Bryan just posted this regarding the VDH wings:

Sorry so long between updates. 23's and 35's shipped today to me. 18's I'm sorry to say will not ship to me till Thursday of next week. Despite the Tampa area being bypassed by the hurricane, two of my family members lost their homes in the PCB area so I'm not sure what or if there is anything I'll need to do in the next few days to help out there. I apologize for the delay and will do my best to keep things current in the website store and here as I can. Thank you

1. Backplate - OMS stainless or VDH aluminum
2. Wing - OMS or VDH single Hollis double
3. Harness - single piece webbing
4. Primary 1st stage - Apeks FST
5. Primary 2nd stage - Apeks XTX100
6. Computer - Shearwater Perdix
7. SPG - 2.5” brass and glass
8. Hoses - rubber

In addition, I’ve owned Halcyon BP/W’s and only sold them because I wasn’t diving doubles at the time. Regretted selling them after the fact though.

1. Backplate - Apeks WTX Stainless Steel
2. Wing - Apeks WTX-D18 18lb Donut (with Apeks Single Tank Adapter)
3. Harness - Apeks Deluxe One-Piece Web Harness
4. Primary 1st stage - Atomic M1 (have both DIN and Yoke)
5. Primary 2nd stage - 2x Atomic M1
6. Computer - Shearwater Perdix AI with transmitter
7. SPG - 2” brass and glass
8. Hoses - Halcyon Rubber (7ft long hose with necklace configuration)

For doubles I just swap out the donut for an Apeks WTX-D45 45lb Wing, add another Atomic M1 DIN first stage, and a second Shearwater Perdix AI.

Very pleased with the setup. The single tank setup is nice and streamlined and in warm water I need zero additional weight.

1. Backplate - AL Halcyon, small
2. Wing - Halcyon 30 lb Eclipse
3. Harness - Halcyon
4. Primary 1st stage - Sherwood Blizzard
5. Primary 2nd stage - Sherwood Blizzard
5.a) Secondary 2nd stage - Sherwood Blizzard, bungied
6. Computer - xDeep Black
7. SPG - HOG
8. Hoses - 7 foot primary braided DRIS; 22 inch braided DRIS backup; 17 inch rubber inflator hose; 26 inch rubber SPG hose.

1. Backplate - DGX Alum
2. Wing - DGX 18lb (AKA Dive Rite Travel wing)
3. Harness - standard webbing
4. Primary 1st stage - Atomic z2
5. Primary 2nd stage - Atomic z2
6. Computer - Perdix
7. SPG - Highland 2" brass & glass
8. Hoses - 5 foot primary standard rubber; 22 inch standard rubber neck bungee backup

1. Open water reef diving (30-80 feet) 2. Open water deep wall or wreck diving (65-110 feet) 3. my passion: Cave Diving or Wreck penetration diving. That's why I moved to Florida Cave Country 14 years ago from Michigan.

Universal gear I will use in all three environments:
Dive Rite Low profile gauge reader mask.
ShearWater Perdix computer with Trilobite line cutter attached
Citizen EcoDrive Promaster dive watch with max depth
US Navy foldable dive tables
This is the only gear I will use in all dives only.

Open Water Reef Diving: for single Aluminum 80
ScubaPro Glide BCD with Air II inflator
Scuba Pro MK 25 G 650 EVO Yolk style Regulator, 40 inch hose routed off the bottom port under my right arm with 90 degree swivel, naked brass and glass SPG on bold snap attached to left side of BCD on D ring. short LP hose to Air II, foldable snorkel in pocket, 4 foot SMB foldable in pocket, spool with 100 feet of line and double ender in pocket, slate with compass attached and pencil in pocket. Trilobite line cutter mounted on left shoulder.
2.5 mm Waterproof one piece wet suit with right thigh pocket
dive socks
Light sole Scubapro dive boots, low profile 3mm
Jet Fins size XL with spring straps (yellow)
Hollis 6 (3 c cell) LED dive light with bolt snap and bungee mounted on right D ring

Open water deep wall or wreck diving:
Steel 120 with DIN H Valve pressurized to 3600 psi (I don't believe in pony bottles prefer a large high pressure cylinder with DIN H Valve for redundancy, standard Intro to Cave diving set up)
Zeagle Ranger BCD with crotch strap and Trilobite to left shoulder
Scuba Pro MK 20 G 500 DIN Regulator, 40 inch hose routed off the bottom port under my right arm with 90 degree swivel, naked brass and glass SPG on bold snap attached to left side of BCD on D ring. short LP hose to Air II, foldable snorkel in pocket, slate with compass attached and pencil in pocket. Trilobite line cutter mounted on left shoulder.
ScubaPro Mk 2 R 190 DIN on 40 inch hose mounted to the secondary H Valve post and clipped on left D ring Some may question only a 40 inch hose for air sharing. Sorry, I dive solo and this regulator is for ME not some out of air stroke. (ok, ya, I'll share with some out of air diver)
5 mm Waterproof one piece wet suit with right thigh pocket
dive socks
Light sole Scubapro dive boots, low profile 3mm
Jet Fins size XL with spring straps (yellow)
Hollis 6 (3 c cell) LED dive light with bolt snap and bungee mounted on right D ring
Salvo Mini LED back up light in pocket
10 foot SMB secured in butt mounted mesh bag
Ralph Hood reel with handle and 250 feet of line butt mounted

Cave Diving:
Two High pressure DIN steel 120's at 3600 PSI, one AL 40 DIN with 100% oxygen, one or two AL 80's stage bottles with gas matching primary gas. When I dove the Great Lakes I used an 80/20 mix for Deco as it is much more forgiving bouncing up and down on an anchor line. (oh, Great Lakes diving I used back mount twin LP Steel 80's at 3600 psi)
Two ScubaPro MK 20 G500 DIN regulators for primary side mount cylinders, right cylinder has 7 foot hose and 90 degree swivel, left cylinder has 24 inch hose and 90 degree swivel, left cylinder with 36 inch LP hose for inflator Two naked brass and glass SPG with 9 inch hoses rear facing.
3 ScubaPro MK 2 R 190 DIN with 6 inch naked brass and glass SPG for DECO and Stage bottles
Dive Rite Nomad XT BCD personally modified for myself. Trilobite line cutter mounted on left shoulder.
4 personalized line arrows on left D ring
3-5 Ralph Hood reels Jasper configuration for jumps butt mounted. One Ralph Hood reel with handle for Primary with 300 feet of line.
Dive Rite Canister LED primary light butt mounted.
Two Salvo mini LED backup light mounted low on each shoulder strap.
5mm Waterproof single piece wet suit with 7mm hood.
Heavy Seasoft hard sole boots
ScubaPro XXL Jet Fins with steel spring straps.

1. Backplate - Hog steel & aluminum
2. Wing - Hog 32 lb
3. Harness - standard one piece continuous webbing
4. Primary 1st stage - Apeks DST & DS4
5. Primary 2nd stage - Apeks 2x ATX 40, 2x TX50
6. Computer - Petrel 2
7. SPG - Apeks 2" dual scale PSI / Bar
8. Hoses - standard length rubber

Back
Top Bottom