Shark attack in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Apparently a 14 year old female suffered a terminal event secondary to a shark bite this afternoon.

Two girls were swimming about 100 yards off shore and one was bitten. Both returned to the beach and the bite victim was treated and transported by EMS. The girl succumbed to her injuries after arrival at the medical facility.

Details are sketchy - if you hear more please share it.

DavidPT40:
a 11 foot bull shark attacked and killed a teenage girl in Florida today.
Where did you get the information that it was a bull shark? Everywhere I have read it says that the shark was not identified. Can anyone give me a link so I can find out more?

"Florida had the largest number of documented shark attacks worldwide in 2003 with 30, according to statistics compiled by the American Elasmobranch Society and the Florida Museum of Natural History. There were 12 attacks off the coast of Florida last year."

Wow, had no idea, my condolences to the family.

Very sad indeed, one reason for me not to hang out on the surface. My condolences to her family.

Dove destin jetties today and stopped by ScubaTech on the way out to fill tanks for tomorrow. They were saying she had passed by the time she reached the hospital. They also said there was already a media frenzy about it and alot of the beaches closed...

Water was clear and the event occured during daylight hours. There is alot of baitfish in the water this weekend though...

Condolences to the family, but I hope the media doesn't go overboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom