Shark attack on human **Warning!! Graphic Video**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn:
To me, that bite looks investigatory. Is this edible? I don't think it proves or disproves anything.

Really?

How about "not all bull sharks are into yoga"

You sure that's not "TwoBitOkie" (I'm sorry really. I couldn't resist. Please don't hate me):D

That almost happened to me while I was petting the pretty, furry lions at the zoo. Nice kitty kitty.

HarryWhisman:
Really?

How about "not all bull sharks are into yoga"

You sure that's not "TwoBitOkie" (I'm sorry really. I couldn't resist. Please don't hate me):D

That made no sense, and after an insult like that??? Why?

TwoBitTxn:
That made no sense, and after an insult like that??? Why?

OK. How about it proves that bulls might actually bite a piece of your leg off if you go wading with them even if you are relaxed and doing your yoga thing. sheesh!!

I'm sorry you didn't like my joke. I spent such a long time thinkin it up too.

So if bull sharks are known to bite large chunks out of peoples legs, why are there some dive outlets that actively take people diving with them.

I found this example http://www.scuba2000.org.uk/Protea Banks.htm and am intrigued to comprehend how trips like this can be organised, given what we've seen in the video. The very fact that dive outlets are oganising excursions like this, sends the message that "we do it, so it must be safe".

However given what i've seen, I'm unconvinced, and am more inclined to believe that the only reason that there havn't been any more fatalities, is just coincidence.

I quote.... "Hunting packs of Great Hammerheads check out who makes all that funny noise and Black Tips dart in and out of the diver's vision like a bunch of playful puppies. "

and "The really lucky diver may even encounter the odd Great White Shark which is an absolute privilege.
It took me over 500 dives to get that lucky and despite everybody's totally unfounded fear, the Great White behaves just like any other shark....swims past, looks what's going on and carries on his mission...
The feeling is indescribable !!! "

also "Protea Banks has been rated by many divers from around the world as THE best shark dive. many divers are scared of sharks due to horror stories and myths created by the movie world, but their fears are totally unfounded.
Sharks are intelligent animals, do not recognise us as food source and generally tend to be shy and respectful towards the divers."

Is there some particular technique that allows these groups to scuba dive, safe from attack. Or is there more to this ?
I am aware that this particular organiser states that there is no "Baiting up/Chumming", the way I see it, Chumming is akin to going into the Tigers pen with a steak round your neck, as opposed to the "Safer option" of just walking into the pen.

From the video of the attack, there doesn't appear to be mistaken identity, more like "wonder what that tastes like" The shark had the tentative expression of someone trying a doner kebab for the first time.

So with this in mind, is it the case that various scuba diving groups are chucking people in the water simply on the basis that they havn't had a serious incident yet, so therefore it must be ok ?

Much of the information I've read about sharks biting people seems to point at sharks only "Tasting to see if it's edible" It certainly appears that a "Taste" to that shark in the video was a Whole calf muscle". That's somewhat more serious than a finger lost to a barracuda.

Lonefox:
So if bull sharks are known to bite large chunks out of peoples legs, why are there some dive outlets that actively take people diving with them.

I found this example http://www.scuba2000.org.uk/Protea Banks.htm and am intrigued to comprehend how trips like this can be organised, given what we've seen in the video. The very fact that dive outlets are oganising excursions like this, sends the message that "we do it, so it must be safe".

Well as I've dived Protea a few times and consider myself a fairly risk-averse person I'll try and offer my answer. :D

Protea (and most other bull encounter dives such as the Bat Islands) is in fairly deep clear water (40m odd). Whilst it is true to say Bulls probably attack more people than any other shark year on year the bulk of attaks happen in very shallow disturbed water (see our boy Ritter). These are very different conditions. On Protea the shark can see you a long way away assess your relative size and decide not to chow down. In the Ritter example all it sees is two nice bite sized calves and decides to tuck in. Also ritter's sharks were stimulated by bait in the water not the case on protea - they're just exploring.

GWS are as I understand it extremely rare on Protea, we saw two tigers both of which were very wary and frankly fled the scene upon seeing us and 2 bulls who didn't seem to care.They are large intimadating sharks and I certainly wouldn't recommend diving with them as an intro to shark diving. Only saw a couple of blacktips and no great hammers (didn't even know it was a possibility) but a big school of scalloped hammers. I felt safe at all times on protea but i wouldn't even consider doing what ritter did.

Is there a risk on these dives? yes. is it a substantial risk - I'd say no. Here is a pic of the safest way to dive with C. leucas (from the cage in Underwater world, Singapore)

19865742_65faa09862.jpg

Bull sharks are amazing and beautiful creatures. But also diserve respect and attention, wearing shorts in waist deep water surounded by bulls, isnt the smartest thing to do. while a majority of the bulls are swimming by investigating there is bound to be one that will attack. I remember that episode and thought he was a idiot, with the bull being responsible for the largest report of attacks, im surprised he wasnt attacked by more bulls.

TwoBitTxn:
To me, that bite looks investigatory. Is this edible? I don't think it proves or disproves anything.
Sure it does. It proves that if a Bull shark runs into a hunk of meat he'll just naturally take a bite to see what it is.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom