Shark attack on human **Warning!! Graphic Video**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeremy Stafford-Deitsch used to run shark weeks at Walkers Cay with chumsicle dives in the morning and the afternoons spent snorkeling with the Bulls. We were told to bring all black snorkeling kit and there were lots of felt pens by the platform for blacking out logos etc. When you first enter the water the alpha female comes over and checks you out. After that they pretty much swim around and ignore you, though occasionally one will rub against you in an almost friendly way. Jeremy lined us up with our backs to the shore and heads underwater, he then threw bits of fish over our heads into the water. This produced a spectacular feeding display. Then we were left to snorkel with the sharks again. I experimented. There were flatfish on the bottom so I timed a duck dive to flick one up directly in front of a Bull. It ignored the fish. So I waited till a shark was heading straight for me and duck dived to swim at it head on. It veered off about half a metre away. Every time I have swum directly at a shark they have backed down.
For the week I took my normal mask and a black low profile frameless Oceanic mask for the snorkeling. Jeremy admired this saying it was ideal for photography so I gave it to him at the end of the week.

More here: http://www.divernet.com/travel/bull0400.htm

NetDoc:
The water was just a tad "nippy", eh wot? When you feed wildlife, you had best not run out of food. They aren't nearly as patient as a two year old when it comes to eating. WHen they banned feeding sharks here in Florida there were reports of dive ops putting fish in a steel mesh bag to get the sharks to come in: but they were frustrated when they tried to eat it. Now that doesn't make sense: getting a shark all excited about eating and then deny him!
hey doc,correct me if i have misunderstood this please, you are saying that some dive operations were bating the sharks with food and then NOT feeding them , and then allowing folks to dive with these frustrated and hungry sharks!!!!!! wow i not going off that boat!!!! lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom