Shark attack stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBedoobedoo

Registered
Reaction score
They're always appreciated, if anyone has nay shark attack stories share them here

Ok I have one Shark story
I was doing a Dive called Fish Rock Cave we where doing it from the Shallow end to the deep end. It is an amazing place and anyone that comes down this way should dive it. Anyway the owner of the Dive shop was leading 6 of us through the cave, a group had just come through from the opposite end. The owner went down the Chimney head first as is the custom and I followed, as I was about halfway into the chimney a Wobbegong Shark about 7ft long came up the chimney in a foul mood, he was so wide that there was not enough room in the chimney for the three of us. We got wedged in there tight, I was upside down its head next to mine thrashing about biting the air, the owner had it round its middle trying to shove it up out of the chimney, I was using my arms trying not to get bitten, it took us a good 4 minutes shoving this shark up to get it out of the chimney. All the guys behind could see was the top of the sharks head and a massive of bubbles as my breathing rate went through the roof. Coming out the other end of the cave into the sun was the best feeling I have ever had diving

Anyway that’s my shark story.

wow thats amazing! and nobody got bitten while the shark was thrashing around?:sharky:

I was diving in the aquarium at Charleston with at least two sharks... Both of them whitetips, looking much like bull sharks. The big one was a seven footer, 'cause they took the really BIG one out.

Nothing happened. He just swam in circles.

Happened on the next dive, too. And the next.

Sharks don't generally bother divers, man. :)

SCUBedoobedoo once bubbled...
wow thats amazing! and nobody got bitten while the shark was thrashing around?:sharky:

No thankfully no one got bitten, we think the group of divers that went through before us must have pissed him off, maybe kicked him with fin, he was an angry boy.

squeezed to death by a shark. now that would have been funny. admittedly less so for you and your buddies.

...Marco Flagg. He was attacked about 10 years ago in California while diving with a scooter. Pretty interesting read and the page should have other shark attack stories on it too..

I'm looking for a story that I read on the net a few years ago. It was about a group that was doing a deep dive (on air I think) in the tropics and on the way up one of the divers got attacked and was never seen again.

I think you are talking about the Great White attack on a newlywed man in Australia. I've seen versions of the story where he disappeared without a trace. If you look at the clipping I pasted below, it seems like at least parts of him were recovered.

Scott

Four days later on 9th June 1993 another diver was attacked and killed by a Great White.

This attack occured at Byron Bay at the top of NSW. It is very rare for Great Whites to be around this area. John & Debbie Ford were on their honeymoon and went to a diving site called Spot X. They were experienced divers. They were hoping to see some of the famous Grey Nurse (Sand Tigers) sharks in the area.

While under the diving group spotted a Great White. The group started to ascend up the anchor line and stopped at 5 metres to do a 3 minute safety stop. While they waited the Great White appeared under them. It was estimated at about 17 feet long. It started coming up towards Debbie Ford. John, her new husband pushed her out of the way and the shark took him.

Debbie was taken away in hysterics. She later held a memorial service at the site for him. She said "He took his own life for me"... He was a hero and a good husband. I loved him dearly". A wreath was laid on the water.

Just after the attack happened, fisherman & other dive boats went to the scene. The shark was still there and took a bait as soon as it was put into the water. For one and a half hours they fought with this shark trying desperately to get close enough to shoot it with a 303 rifle. During this struggle the shark vomited up the torso of John Ford. It finally bit through the line and escaped. The head of John Ford was found some days later on the bottom of the ocean.

This seems by many accounts to be a freak accident. The area was teeming with fish and the shark should have been well fed. There are a number of stories told about this shark in the weeks that followed including that it died when it ate the anchor off a dive boat. It was also apparently seen floating and dead by a helicopter but this information cannot be confirmed.

No, this wasn't the story I was talking about. THe one I read was about a group of guys (researchers I think) and the attack was not from a white shark. After being attacked several times the victim lost bouyancy and wasn't seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom