Shark attack video *Warning, not for faint hearted!*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

could be like the day I viewed the Warhammer....you just always regret it.

Tom Winters:
I remember hearing about that attack - you'd think being out in the middle of nowhere would be far enough. When we had swim call in the Navy, everyone would jump over the side wherever we were - we had guys armed with automatic weapons in case sharks showed up, but if something like this shark came up out of the depths, not much would stop that.

We were out at sea on a SSBN, thats a submarine for you civies, with a bunch of Midshipmen and conducted a swim qual. Had sailors on deck with M-16's as usual. A 9ft hammerhead showed up, was quite a clammor for the ladder.

Don't worry they didnt blow the shark away.

I've swam with whites - in a cage, i'll admit - and they are amazing, beautiful and agile creatures. They seemed to show intelligence as they passed the cage - perhaps eyeing us to figure out what we were - who knows.
i'm still looking for my chance to dive without a cage - provided its not right next to seal island where they feed and no one is chumming the water. did about 40 dives in false bay which is the densest population in the world and no 'luck'. still i had a dive buddy who on every safety stop would be rotating 360 degrees to watch for one. i never reallly had the heart to tell him that it would attack from below if its going to attack - least in false bay. my username is in his honor.

For any newbies reading this post: Divers are rarely attacked by sharks. Don't let this video scare you out of the water.

we as scuba divers are visiting a different world with different rules. can end up being attacked by anything even a lobster fighting for the last few hours of life or a bluegill in fresh.
I've met several people who have gotten attacked by different fish in the water.

and to be fair - attacked isn't a fair representation of the encounter 99 times out of 100 - some sharks can get defensive or just curious and without hands, they use their mouth to investigate - its just that it can be a very big mouth and we are pretty fragile. regardless, you're a lot more vulnerable on the surface with a surfboard (often right next to a fishing pier which can be the equivalent of chumming) then under the surface on scuba

terrifying bad shark attacked......thank you for sharing

Jcsgt:
Divers are rarely attacked by sharks.
Make that almost never, unless you are doing something stupid like dragging bloody fish with you:11: , or else something REALLY stupid like trying to grab one by the tail:icon10: . I have not encountered great whites, but I was on a tiger shark dive (on the Shearwater) which was simply incredible. I have seen a lot of your standard reef sharks in my day, but there is just something completely different about one of those beauties cruising right past you (without a cage, either!) There has been a lot of debate here on why sharks do or don't do what they do, and I am not gonna get into that again. Suffice it to say that they just don't seem to know what we are, and almost always leave us alone. Woody

Back
Top Bottom