Shark attack video *Warning, not for faint hearted!*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN:
Make that almost never, unless you are doing something stupid like dragging bloody fish with you:11: , or else something REALLY stupid like trying to grab one by the tail:icon10:

Sorry to deprive you of your security blanket Woodman, but great whites do take scuba divers for no apparent reason. See this news story of the most recent fatal GWS attack on a marine biologist diver who was not on the surface and not spearfishing. He was at depth, minding his own business collecting scientific samples. http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2005/s1446299.htm
South Australian great whites grow to over two tons, and they don't muck around.

discrepancy:
Sorry to deprive you of your security blanket Woodman, but great whites do take scuba divers for no apparent reason.
Perhaps I did not make myself clear here. I NEVER intended to include great white sharks in this discussion, as I am well aware of their unpredictability and capabilities. Thankfully, they are almost exclusively cold water animals, and do not normally venture into the warm water diving areas that most of us frequent. I was referring to the sharks that one normally will encounter on a typical sport dive, although you will notice the use of the usual escape hatches such as "typically" and "usually", etc. There are no guarantees in the wild kingdom, and anything is possible. But isnt that part of the attraction? Woody

Fair enough Woodman. But aside from big great whites in colder waters, aggressive bull sharks also present a very dangerous and unpredictable menace, especially near esturaries. A young woman was killed in tragic circumstances in sub-tropical Queensland earlier this year. See http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2006/s1544350.htm.
Bull sharks won't eat you in two bites, but they are still lethal.

I have noticed that bull sharks seem to be involved in a unusually large number of attacks. I wonder what it is about that species? I have never seen one, personally, but I leave for the Bahamas tomorrow, and we will see what I encounter this time. :D Woody

Don't just keep pulling out articles of shark attacks to try to demonstrate it as typical behavior.

Sharks are dangerous wild animals, but the media gives tremendous attention to any attacks. They are not common compared to other risks and the number of benign encounters.

Beware the damselfish, they'll attack everytime.

Chaseh:
...Beware the damselfish, they'll attack everytime.

I'll testify to that! On our last two trips, my gf was repeatedly savaged by these terrors of the (not-so) deep. We couldn't fend them off. They were responsible for severe pilling in the ankle region of her wetsuit. Doesn't the Navy make some sort of Damsoille repellant?

RikRaeder:
I'll testify to that! On our last two trips, my gf was repeatedly savaged by these terrors of the (not-so) deep. We couldn't fend them off. They were responsible for severe pilling in the ankle region of her wetsuit.

But you have to give them 10 out of 10 for guts and attitude. Lucky for us they're not 3' long with big nasty teeth.

Shark Logic:

Snorklers/surfers = seals = food
Divers = Large animals/possible predators = avoid

What is hard to understand? Divers look like large animals (which we are) and as I realized after my divorce: there are always easier targets in the sea.

well of course sharks are dangerous! I mean they have a territory to defend and even a curiosity bite from a great white will severly injure or kill someone, but there's dangers everywhere in the world - hey, who wants to cross the road! Personally,what gets me is when animals are killed because they are seen as a threat or have injured a human. The case involving a tiger which was shot after savaging a zoo owner a few years ago really sickened me. Hey, buddy, if you don't want to be mauled by a 300lbs tiger, try not sticking your head into it's mouth! And of course, sometimes divers are surfers are taken by large marine life for no apparent reason apart from the fact that they happen to just be in the same place, same time, but it doesn't make these creatures terrifying monsters of the deep. I just find it really hard to see why they are viewed in this light when they're so cute!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom