Shark bites off snorkeler's arm, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had three friends killed by GWS

Al Sneppersnoff , (on surface - Spear fishing)
(read about Al's attack in the book "The Golden Sea : mans underwater adventure "
Playboy press, authors Brown & Smith page 17) It occurred when SoCal divers were spearfishing Guadalupe Island - Now divers are photographing from GWS from cages

Debra Fransman, (on surface - snorkeling)
One bite and most of leg was gone
She worked for my wife

Randy Fry , (on surface - abalone diving)
One bite the GHWS bit his head off - no other wounds

I have had two friends attached by GWS

Harry Ingram-(on surface - Spear fishing)
(Read about Harrys attack in Carlos Eyes classic book "The last of the Blue water hunters") Harry was al so attacked Guadalupe Island 11 years after Al's attack. Harry managed to spear the shark in the mouth as it came at him- the shark arched his back and Harry became the first person in the world to ride a GWS.

The late Jim Bulman--(on surface - Spear fishing)
He took his neighbor's son a 12 year old boy with him to spearfish at Catalina Island. A GWS appeared out of the blue circled Jim several time and was poised for an attack. Jim shot it point blank range - the shark stopped the attack and starred at the two ..the neighbor boy said "Jim how are we going to get that big fish in the boat?"
The shark took off pulling all of is terminal spearfishing gear-- never to be seen again
That ended that day of diving

The late great Jim Stewart (See his bio in the Passings thread) was attacked by a tropical reef shark which removed his trapezius muscle. The attack was photographed by his diving partner Ron Church and featured in an SDM article

Now I hear that Bill jumped into the water to photograph GWS ?

No further comment

SDM

Last edited:
Now I hear that Bill jumped into the water to photograph GWS ?

While only peripherally related to the main thread, I think it's worth expanding upon that a bit. Even putting aside the issue of dives where sharks are baited in, and speaking only of dives where participants are not spear fishing, one has to ask...how off-putting should we deem it when a large shark, particularly of the scarier species, is known to be in the vicinity? I'm talking daylight, good viz. water...

Off Tiger Beach, Grand Bahama, people dive with tiger sharks without cages.

Off Guadalupe Island, Mexico, people dive with great whites, but pretty much from inside cages.

People dive with bull sharks cageless.

I wonder sometimes what drives the particulars of these practices. There's more to it than sharks, too. Awhile back we had a thread with video of someone jumping in the water with a giant squid in close quarters. Many of us have dove near large barracuda with little concern beyond noting their presence.

Richard.

I have had three friends killed by GWS

SDM

I do not mean this flippant at all but the first thought I had after reading this was "I'm not befriending you". Once again not meant disrespectful to you or your friends, I just have a strange sense of humor.

Bob,
There is a 1963 book, long out of print, but probably still available from one of the used book sellers. If interested in Shark attacks it is the bible; a must have for all divers interested in sharks and shark attacks

Sharks and Survival by Perry W Gilbert , HC, D.C.& company, Boston LCCC # 63-22519

Perry was head of the Shark Research Panel until his passing and certainly very knowledgeable on shark attacks.

He had the foresight and ability to list by a number all known shark attacks in the world
Leroy's was found on page 536 listed as # 1115 and occurred on November 11, 1962

GOK I have certainly had my fair share of world wide shark encounters, so far no bites but a number of close calls

Cheers from, CenCal

SAM.

Sam's report confirms my feeling that as long as we stay underwater (and are not spearing fish) we are pretty safe. I don't worry much when I'm submerged in relatively clear water, but sometimes those surface swims make me wary. I gave up free diving back in the mid-80s.

Bill
Suggest that you obtain and read the book

Sharks and Survival by Perry W Gilbert , HC, D.C.& company, Boston,n 1963, LCCC # 63-22519

You just might change your mind about sharks and Underwater Attacks-- You are the very first person who dives in California I have ever heard of seeing a GWS up close and personal and survived to tell the tale.

SDM

Your suggestion of using reel line is very good. We also carry zipties which can be doubled, tripled up etc and have the right amount of width to not cut into the skin again. But also incredible clamping force to stop even the deepest arteries. But EMT's hate them (don't ask me how I know)

Using a reel would be a very bad idea, actually. A tourniquet needs to be wider to not only prevent further damage to the limb, but to be effective in achieving distal artery occlusion. Most recommendations these days is over 1" in width, or more.

Sam,
For those without the time, or possibly the inclination to read the book, does it recommend a standard response for a diver who feels they are being "menaced" or "stalked" by a shark. I have been on dives where sharks were present in large numbers, mostly black or white tipped reef sharks, and once some large sand tigers, but none have ever shown any interest in me or the other divers in the area.

Not as inexpensive as zipties. But, just add a CAT (Combat Application Tourniquet) or 2 to your first aid kit. More effective and you won't piss off the EMTs.

Back
Top Bottom