shark dives vs au natural

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lyse

Reaction score
One of my biggest pet peeves with the diving world is the ever-growing popularity of shark dives. Circus dives. At the resort where I work the shark dive is, predictably, one of the most popular. I try to avoid them, and have observed that over the years that the sharks in the area have grown much more frisky, making a lot of close passes and playing bumpercars with the videographer *myself, on a few occasions. I personally find it much less invasive and much more thrilling when I see the lone shark cruising the reef or emerging from the blue while Im on a wall dive. Just curious as to other peoples opinions on the subject...

down with circus dives! oy.......

Undoubtedly, encountering these awesome creatures in their natural environment is the highlight of most log books. Unfortunately, for the average diver, these natural encounters are relatively rare. For the most part, sharks are more afraid of us than we are of them ... most turn the other way before we ever really see them.

I've encountered sharks both in the wild and under controlled feeding circumstances. I'll be the first to say that I'm not a big fan of feeding ANY wild creature. However, I do believe that these feedings can serve a purpose. They potentially help the average person get over the demonized image that has been perpetuated by Hollywood for years. Sharks populations do not respond well to indiscriminant killing ... this has and continues to occur in some parts of the world. Therefore, if these feedings help people gain a better appreciation of sharks ... then I'm for it.

Of course, I'd be leery of exposing out any appendages at an regular shark feeding site.

I agree, love to see sharks that cruise by on their own. If I get lucky so be it. Have no interest in a shark feed.

I have always been against shark feeding. However on a recent trip to Yap the manager of of the dive center Talked me into doing one saying it doe's a lot of good enlightening people that they are not the killers that the movies portray. I also thought it a good idea to know what I was talking about when speaking for or against shark feeding. After the feed ( I had not changed my mind) the manager told me if you come off the wall and go into blue water on seeing a shark they will hang around to check you out. A few days later in Palau I had the chance to put this to the test. Just as I came off the wall to avoid a down current a lone shark came past from the opposite direction, I made for blue water about 100' from the wall. In no time at all there were sharks all around me a full 360 degrees, I was the only diver out there and there was no food in the water. On returning to the wall the sharks disappeared.

Lyse:
One of my biggest pet peeves with the diving world is the ever-growing popularity of shark dives. Circus dives. ....

down with circus dives! oy.......

I'm with you, I prefer seening an animal in it's "natural" state. I also worry about these types of dives disrupting the natural balance of the reef, if sharks are hand fed on a daily basis, they are not hunting and keeping the reef healthy.

There is nothing like seeing a buncha sharks in the blue, but c'mon they do a fantastic job editing those shark feeding tapes......its nice to show the non-diving ladies what a stud you R:10: I think the feeding has its benefits but of course its like going to the zoo vs being in the bush. I remember one big nurse that displayed some crazy behavior. Banging the reef, spinning upside down, advancing-retreating....shhhh (I may have peed myself...good thing no wetsuit):D

I've only ever encountered sharks in the "wild" and it is always really special when I see one. I just don't think I would get the same excitement if I started a dive knowing I was going to see a shark, or 10. The whole thing seems too canned for my liking.

sharky60:
I'm with you, I prefer seening an animal in it's "natural" state. I also worry about these types of dives disrupting the natural balance of the reef, if sharks are hand fed on a daily basis, they are not hunting and keeping the reef healthy.

Also in a lot of places (like Palau Yap ) there is no need for feeding. You will see a shark on just about every wall dive, all it needs is to suck in the belly stick out the chest :D and venture out into the blue, get away from the safety of the wall.

J75:
The whole thing seems too canned for my liking.

Spot on - thats what would put me off. I certainly wouldn't get excited about say, a carribean reef feed. On the other hand the use of bait that may or may not draw in less commonly seen species eg on the Abernathy trips does interest me and I would be interested.

I should say I have no ethical problem with feeds if managed sensibly - a fed shark is better than a finned shark so making them a tourist asset is good in my book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom