Shark Diving while Menstrating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... to be entirely cursory & not compelling as written.

This is not to say that she is incorrect, only that she does not prove the case & that a more scholarly treatment appears warranted.

The scientific truth is that the smell & taste receptors of many carnivorous sharks routinely permit the recognition of one part of blood in 100 million parts of water. With some species under some conditions, e.g., food deprivation, this sensitivity can be very much higher. Those expert in the central nervous system of the shark have suggested that two-thirds or more of its brain may be devoted to smell. I, for one, believe that there is a sound evolutionary reason for this.

Unfortunately, no studies of which I am aware have specifically tested for menstrual blood. However, the extensive research findings on fresh human, animal & fish blood, other human bodily fluids, e.g., urine, and a wide variety of water-borne organic chemicals found in human fluids (e.g., amino acids, amines & small fatty acids) indicate to me that the carnivorous shark's exquisite sensory capabilities can in fact detect menstrual blood, and at a considerable distance.

Although the blood lost during menstruation typically is small & occurs over several days, there simply is no argument but that, most especially on the days of heaviest discharge, it is more than enough to be detected by a creature that not only can sense one part of blood in 100 million parts of water or better, but also often can tell which of its nostrils that part is closest to.

So much for detection, as "ratherbediving" is inquiring about any increased risk of shark attack during menses. Again, to the best of my knowledge there is no research on this, and for obvious reasons controlled studies would be difficult.

Dr. McComb's short paragraph on the subject includes the sentence, "The hemolytic blood associated with menses may instead act as a shark deterrent (Edmonds, et al., 1992, p. 65). " One will want to be aware that Dr. Edmonds arrived at this conjecture based solely on the statistical finding that women are attacked by sharks less often than men. Clearly there a many possible reasons for this statistic having nothing to do with menstruation.

There as well are several credible sources who opine that risk may be increased. These include George Burgess, Director of the International Shark Attack File, and Divers Alert Network (DAN). An article on shark attack in the Feb '02 issue of their "Alert Diver" magazine states: "Although there is no positive evidence that menstruation will increase risk, it is best not to tempt a predator that finds its prey via smell" (p.15). As with Dr. Edmonds' comment, this other position also is without direct research support.

In addition, in the thread cited above by "Walter," http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=340, you will find several anecdotal reports of menstruating divers being hassled by sharks, and I can provide others if you like. And while we are here, I'd like to expand upon a reference made by Walter within that thread concerning the work of H. David Baldridge & his colleagues back in the 1970s. To the best of my recall, this work in essence demonstrated that sharks prefer fish to mammalian blood, not that mammalian blood isn't of interest to them.

My personal opinion is that there may be a very small increased risk of shark attack related to menses. But, as the risk of shark attack on a diver is already so infinitesimally small, and even smaller on women, it would be extraordinarily difficult to prove the matter one way or the other even if controlled studies were easily done.

This having been said, if I were a woman & was otherwise feeling up to scuba I would not alter my dive plans due to menstruation.

Of course for you hardy ladies diving cold water in drysuits, the whole discussion lacks relevance.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I can look for the references if somebuddy really wants them but if memory serves me correctly the Royal Air Force did studies on this during the world wars. They tried to duplicate menstrual flow as their studies revealed it acted as a repellant. Its a cleansing process lots of mucus and other yucky stuff mixed in that the sharks dont want to eat.

In Richard Martin's book Shark Smart--The Divers Guide to Understanding Shark Behaviour page 132 "Most (96%) injuries sharks inflict on humans are single slashes, apparently made with the upper teeth only, suggesting that hunger in not the motivating force"

Richard Martin states:

" It has been demonstrated that sharks are uninterested in menstrual fluids. This is not, as some dive physicians suggest, because the amount of fluid is small and discharged over a number of days. Sharks have an highly developed ability to detect chemicals dissolved in water, down to an infinitestimal 10 trillionth of a mole per litre of seawater for certain amino acids. If even the tiniest quantity of mensus is released into the water during an hour's dive, the incredible acuity of the shark olfactory system may welll be able to detect it. While certain types of blood are well-known to be hightly attractive to sharks, menstrual 'blood' is a complex fluid that is chemically very different from systemic blood. Menstrual fluid does include 'old' (hemolysed) blood, but it has been shown experimentally that sharks are simply not interested in it."

So if you feel good enough to dive then there is no reason not to.

Thanks.

DocVikingo

PS: If a major artery is severed and one bleeds to death, or lives but is permanently disfigured buy a single slash, apparently made with the upper teeth only, the motivating force is probably only of academic interest.

Would you please cite the studies he uses to support his statement that, "Menstrual fluid does include 'old' (hemolysed) blood, but it has been shown experimentally that sharks are simply not interested in it."

Thank you.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo once bubbled...
Would you please cite the studies he uses to support his statement that, "Menstrual fluid does include 'old' (hemolysed) blood, but it has been shown experimentally that sharks are simply not interested in it."

Thank you.

DocVikingo
He has no reference in the text portion quoted but there are at least seven pages of references at the end of the book. The one that looks most promising is by:

Johnsen, PB., and J.H. Teeter. 1985. Behavioral responses of bonnethead sharks (sphyrna tiburo) to controlled olfactory stimulation. Mar.Behav.Physiol., 11:283-91.

or

Perrine, D. 1989. Reef shark attack! New clues raise new questions about why sharks bite people. Sea Front., 35(1):31-41.

Thanks for taking the time to look this up.

That Richard Martin does not provide references in the text portion to support his assertion that ""Menstrual fluid does include 'old' (hemolysed) blood, but it has been shown experimentally that sharks are simply not interested in it" is unfortunate, and not the way scholarly pieces are written.

I have read the Johnsen & Teeter article you cited, and it investigates olfactory directional sensitivity in bonnethead sharks & involves only non-human blood, so no help there.

Haven't been able to access the Sea Frontiers piece by Perine, but from what I know of that magazine it seems highly unlikely that it would include such content.

So to this point I would hold that, like Dr. McComb's piece referenced earlier in this thread, Mr. Martin's position is not compelling as written.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I think sharks fear p.m.s. over anything- nothing worse than cranky, bloated, junk food craving women giving them the "finger". They give them plenty of room. :goldfish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom