Shark Feeding Merits discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is not a place to debate shark feeding. This is for sharing photos and/or videos of our local shark action. Violations will be reported to the mods.

June 20-21, 2014
Scalloped Hammerhead - 1
Silky - 3
Dusky - 4
Sandbar - 3
Bull - 2
Lemon - 9
Nurse - 2

I did not know that a person can start a thread and then define specific rules that preclude comments from other members.

So I could start a thread saying "all shark feeders are idiots" and preclude anyone from voicing a dissenting opinion?

Mod Edit => Topic split from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/485818-sharks-palm-beach-county.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not know that a person can start a thread and then define specific rules that preclude comments from other members.

So I could start a thread saying "all shark feeders are idiots" and preclude anyone from voicing a dissenting opinion?

I'd say he has the same right to do that as you would to set up a thread for showing off spearfishing catches and bar the PETA types from hijacking the conversation. I'm fine with limiting this discussion to swapping photos and vids.

Great shots, Mike. I may try to get out this weekend; the tigers and great hammerheads have so far eluded me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say he has the same right to do that as you would to set up a thread for showing off spearfishing catches and bar the PETA types from hijacking the conversation. I'm fine with limiting this discussion to swapping photos and vids.

Great shots, Mike. I may try to get out this weekend; the tigers and great hammerheads have so far eluded me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. The hunting section has previously been established by the Forum Administrator and it has some very clear language about the allowable comments within this specific section. I believe the solo forum (and probably others) also have their own specific guidelines/rules,

My inquiry pertains to acceptability of members making up their "own rules" within the forum.

The hunting section has previously been established by the Forum Administrator and it has some very clear language about the allowable comments within this specific section. I believe the solo forum (and probably others) also have their own specific guidelines/rules,

I thought about those same 2 issues - spear hunting and solo diving. Without venturing too far out on a tangent, since the issue has come up in this thread, perhaps consideration should be given to whether shark feeding diving has become a sufficiently common (it's definitely sufficiently contentious) to warrant a 'safe harbor' section on the forum.

Which won't solve the whole issue, as it hasn't with solo diving, and raises the question of where it would be.

Richard.

This is not a place to debate shark feeding. This is for sharing photos and/or videos of our local shark action. Violations will be reported to the mods.

Nice job, ... 12 comments, no photos, no videos ....

Words like "Please, ..." or "I'd appreciate, if ..." in your initial statement would likely have drawn a much different, more positive and constructive response ...:wink:

Last edited:
I thought about those same 2 issues - spear hunting and solo diving. Without venturing too far out on a tangent, since the issue has come up in this thread, perhaps consideration should be given to whether shark feeding diving has become a sufficiently common (it's definitely sufficiently contentious) to warrant a 'safe harbor' section on the forum.

Which won't solve the whole issue, as it hasn't with solo diving, and raises the question of where it would be.

Richard.

I agree with Rich, this is an excellent idea. This would allow for posting of discussion and photos in a way where one could decide to participate or not depending on choice. As this is a Florida topic, I would suggest making it a section under the subforum of Florida Dive Clubs and Groups.

I have sent Rich's idea to Pete for consideration.

Good diving, Craig

I agree with Rich, this is an excellent idea. This would allow for posting of discussion and photos in a way where one could decide to participate or not depending on choice. As this is a Florida topic, I would suggest making it a section under the subforum of Florida Dive Clubs and Groups.

I have sent Rich's idea to Pete for consideration.

Good diving, Craig

You want it in a sub-section of Florida??? Really? It is ILLEGAL in Florida!!!

You want an entire section dedicated to an illegal activity and then make rules that preclude any negative discussion of it? Can we have a lobster poacher section too. Maybe discuss the best methods for deployment of bleach under the ledge?

You want it in a sub-section of Florida??? Really? It is ILLEGAL in Florida!!!

You want an entire section dedicated to an illegal activity and then make rules that preclude any negative discussion of it? Can we have a lobster poacher section too. Maybe discuss the best methods for deployment of bleach under the ledge?

Point well taken, stated with your usual grace and tact. OK, a near Florida activity. This topic comes up over and over again. It there was a separate place for the posts, perhaps they would not end up in so many of the other Florida threads. I think this is worth considering. There have been other, well known threads, that detracted from the Florida Forum and ultimately were moved.

Good diving dumpster, Craig

An entire subsection would be overkill. While it is currently illegal to feed sharks in state waters, our boats leave from Jupiter and Lake Worth Inlets and just have to travel three miles off of the coast of Florida for it to be legal (federal waters). If dD can't see why the discussion should be in the Florida forum then there is no helping him (I believe he just likes to troll though).

Nice job, ... 12 comments, no photos, no videos ....
:banana:

---------- Post added June 24th, 2014 at 10:04 AM ----------

What did you feed the sharks?
I believe they are usually fed pieces of Bonita and/or Barracuda.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom