Shark Feeding worries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not possible to do both the 8:30 2 tank and the 10:30 1 tank as the boats return about the same time. The 10:30 boat is oriented to new divers and resort coursers and so generally runs out to really shallow sites. Generally, you're going to be limited to 3 dives a day using Xanadu as the afternoon boats are only 1 tank, however they do run night dives occasionally if they get enough divers to sign up.

Caribbean divers ran 2 tank morning and 2 tank afternoon charters and so it is possible to dive 4 tanks a day with them, but they often change the morning charters to 1 tank shallow dives when they get a load of resort coursers because this is more lucrative, so its hit and miss on the morning boats.

Blawler1,
How close do you think Carribean divers is to Unexso/Port Lucaya? How was your experience with them, crowded, etc.? To make the the 8:30 morning dives I'll be getting up at 6:00 my time, each morning and I'm not a morning person, so two tank afternoon dives sounds pretty good to me. :D

fwiw -- I spent a winter working at Xanadu (1991/92) but have not been back since as life has kept me busy everywhere else. Anything I ahve to say is dated information so please keep that in mind.

The shark feed dive (at shark city aka hydrolab) is a terrific dive. We would set the divers up in a semi-circle on their knees on the sand bottom with their backs to the decompression chamber (left over from when hydrolab was at the site) which provided the divers shelter and prevented the sharks from coming up behind the divers. We would normally place at least two safety divers with pokers behind the paying customers with one safety diver on each end. Their job is to keep an eye on the sharks behind and to the sides of the divers and to fend them off should they get curious. The point of that being that it allows the customers to watch the feed and not have to worry about being surprised by an unseen shark.

The shark feed itself took place about 20 feet or so in front of the divers with the feeder on his knees in the "center" of the semi-circle and a safety diver to watch his back for him as he fed. Most of the sharks that appeared for the feed were of the Caribbean Grey Reef variety raging between four and six or seven feet in length though an occational stranger would appear. (We had a 20' hammerhead visit us a couple of times -- but that's a whole different story ~smile~) When conditions permit and the sharks were behaving the feeder would allow a couple of the divers to enter the cetner of the circle and see it up close, but that was pretty rare for obvious safety reasons.

I would venture to say that about half of all of the divers would get he opportunity to touch a shark during the feed and I would also say that almost without exception the shark feeding dive was the one most divers would never forget. They are amazing creatures and watching them in action leaves a lasting impression.

As for the problems clearing... that should not be an issue at all. Our policy (back then) was to take the divers in two at a time and get them settled on the bottom. Only after all the divers were in place and comfortable would the feeder enter the water. So if it takes you a little while to settle to the bottom... it shouldn't be a problem. And, as already pointed out, air consumption was a non-issue as most divers were typically back on the boat with a half a tank after the feed was over.

Generally speaking... any dive anywhere near shark city will almost certainly have at least a dozen or so gray reef sharks swimming about thorughout the duration of the dive and they pretty much ignore the divers entirely. They're a shy and somewhat reclusive predator and very much prefer to be left alone. They strongly dislike being touched in any way and should one get too close for comfort a gentle tap is usually all it takes to send them screaming off into the distance.

As for the other diving... Xanadu tends to run a pretty tight ship. They did have a set dive schedule and they did pretty much stick to it. Afternoons, however, tended to be far more flexible. Among the sites I highly recommend are the Tunnels, Theos wreck, Princess REef (shallow elkhorn coral forest) and Eric's Blue Hole. Mystery reef is nice and if you can find someone to get you there, night dives on Theos wreck can be the dive of a lifetime.

So... just to make sure I've covered all the bases, what are considered "aggresive" moves by a shark, and what should I do if I feel threatened? I think I know, but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks. :mean:

Only two more days till go time:D

MAGELLAN once bubbled...
I've got a quick trip planned for Grand Bahama August 20-24th. I'm going to stay at the Our Lucaya Beach and Golf resort. I understand it's across the street from UNEXSO. I haven't heard the best things about UNEXSO, but I've already purchased a voucher for a two tank dive through Expedia. Which by the way, I found them to be one of the best for pricing vacations. We got our deal out of Houston 4 nights hotel, Flight, and the Two tank dive for my wife and I for about a $1000. .

$1000 total for both of you?

MAGELLAN once bubbled...
So... just to make sure I've covered all the bases, what are considered "aggresive" moves by a shark, and what should I do if I feel threatened? I think I know, but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks. :mean:

Only two more days till go time:D

Well... as a rule sharks are easy going. If they drove cars they would have lowering kit with shag carpet on the dashboard and fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror and would be cruising down the road about 5mph below the speed limit while a bad beat played on the stereo, one arm hanging out the drivers window and slid down in the seat so far you only see the top of their heads.

Huh? ~smile~

They're a laid back animal. As you watch them you'll see they have a relaxed and fluid way of moving through the water. They never appear to be in any kind of hurry.

How do you know they're getting agressive?

When that pattern changes and they start making sudden movements with jerky body motions. When they start thrashing themselves about and/or roll their eyes back it's too late to ask if they're feeling agressive ~smile~

As for what to do... "please keep hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times" comes to mind. ~smile~

Generally... try not to give them anything easy to taste test and don't act like you're hurt or afraid. Be agressive back at them, too. Sharks will not generally try to eat anything that's fighting back. They aren't built that way. Another option is to make yourself one with the coral.

All of this said... notice how much of it was somewhat tongue in cheek. In all the dives I've done with sharks in the Bahamas, it's never been an issue. While you will see plenty while you are there, it will be rare indeed to be close enough to one to have been worried about it. They tend to keep their distance unless you're on the shark feeding dive in which case they are far more interested in that tube full of goodies than the divers.

To be exact. Includes, flights, 4 nights hotel, fees and taxes, and a voucher for two people, for a two tank morning dive with UNEXSO. Coming from Houston. Not bad, you think? I know that their might be some other fees, exiting the country and so forth, their is also some fine print in the intinerary from Expedia to wit:

"The price you selected DOES NOT include any applicable service fees, charges for optional incidentals (such as minibar snacks or telephone calls) or regulatory surcharges. The lodging facility will assess these fees, charges and surcharges upon check-out."

Whatever the heck that means?

I thought I did pretty good, what do you think? I also found a good aerial photograph of the Port Lucaya area. check it out.

Magellan --

Don't forget that you have to pay a departure tax to leave the island (in cash) too. No cash... no departure. The departure tax at Roatan was $25 and it was $10 in the Bahamas when I was there in 1991 -- not sure what it is now. Make sure you keep extra cash for your departure (no matter how much you lose gambling).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom