Shark feeding

Do you agree with shark feeding

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a new diver I am extremely excited to see the underwater world as it exists and as it has existed for thousands of years. I find it very disconcerting that many experienced divers support these feedings.

It is not about 'if you dont agree with it, dont do it'. I think it is very clear that when there are more than enough fish guts in the water, sharks will not go after the thing with arms, mask and big tank on his back. This is not the issue. Referencing a video where a shark feeds on all the dead fish flesh and leaves the brave divers alone as proof of one's point is missing the important piece of the argument.

One issue is the fact that no one knows how this will change behavior and affect ecosystems/areas. One only has to search this forum to find a dive boat captain in florida say that when his boat goes to a certain area where they used to do feedings, a lot of sharks show up. I think the odds are pretty high that they show up hungry. Maybe a touch crankier after not getting the expected fish guts?

It just seems incredibly selfish that we would risk changing behavior of these incredible animals as well as potentially put other humans at risk including non divers, to satisfy our need for an adrenaline rush.

So most places that do these feedings do them about once a week? Is it not feasible that for some of these sharks it could be a relatively significant portion of their diet if they really gorge themselves? What happens when the feedings stop? Isn't it potentially dangerous to the sharks, that we all claim to love, that may have lost some of their hunting skills?

I understand that businesses have been built on the feedings as well as the video and photography aspects but we all need to think about the bigger picture, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I know the experience must be exhilarating as was my first shark sighting the 'natural way'. If you want to see more sharks go to Cocos or the many other places where you will be guaranteed a shark sighting, if thats what you are into.

I am not saying that if you went on one of these dives you are a bad person, I have met some of you that have and the majority are nice :wink: I think as divers we have the ability to make a positive impact on the seas and we should do everything we can to have that impact. So please consider the potential negatives of these practices. Maybe humans can be less modifiers and more observers in one area of nature anyway, that is if our egos don't get in the way...

Oh, here is an excerpt after a quick google search, on the basic 'howstuffworks' website HowStuffWorks "What do most sharks eat?"

Since sharks stand at the top of the aquatic food chain, their diets play an important role in regulating the species below them, much like lions in the jungle. For instance, if large sharks were to die out, that would increase the population of octopus, which in turn would feed on more lobsters [source: New York Times].

In addition, shark hunting habits help to perpetuate a survival of the fittest mode in their environment. To conserve energy, sharks often target weak, immature or sickly fish or mammals [source: Parker]. That weeds out the more vulnerable creatures and keeps the stronger, healthier fish and animals alive.

Anyone here smarter than Darwin?? :shakehead:

Happy Diving!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom