http://www.diveheart.org/

Shark fin soup at Disneyland HK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
does anyone know what percentage of sharks are harvested solely for their fins?

also... does anyone know what percentage of sharks are finned and then thrown
back and left to die?

Don't really know the number technically the whole shark is quite valuable as sharkskin can be used in certain leather industry and cosmetic company do use certain internal parts of sharks. So there are some fisherman who do harvest the whole shark. What I find rather disturbing though is that once in awhile, Asian Diver magazine would report a boat being captured in Palau for poaching for sharkfins.
One time they captured a fishing boat that had 3 tons of sharkfins on board (no sharks, just the fins). They burned all the fins after capture and refulsed to give in to the commercial gain of such activity.

sounds like we can get shark fin soup a whole lot cheaper if we just buy it at the store, or go and fin our own sharks. Complaints seem to be coming from an emotional basis rather than a scientific basis. Amazing feats of huge leaps of logic are occuring here also. One sentence blabbles on about how many shark species are endangered, and then jumps to a sentence about how they are tossed over the side alive. Never is there a connection made between the threatened species and the sharks being harvested and it doesn't seem that killing the shark before finning it would make these people feel any better either. At least one person was honest enough to admit that if the rest of the shark was steaked out, they would feel better. So what is the problem? That the sharks are finned alive? That they are dumped? Or on an assumption that the target species might be threatened (without evidence that they are really threatened). I like my shark steak, I'm just bummed that all this time I have wasted the fins.

Justin699:
sounds like we can get shark fin soup a whole lot cheaper if we just buy it at the store, or go and fin our own sharks. Complaints seem to be coming from an emotional basis rather than a scientific basis. Amazing feats of huge leaps of logic are occuring here also. One sentence blabbles on about how many shark species are endangered, and then jumps to a sentence about how they are tossed over the side alive. Never is there a connection made between the threatened species and the sharks being harvested and it doesn't seem that killing the shark before finning it would make these people feel any better either. At least one person was honest enough to admit that if the rest of the shark was steaked out, they would feel better. So what is the problem? That the sharks are finned alive? That they are dumped? Or on an assumption that the target species might be threatened (without evidence that they are really threatened). I like my shark steak, I'm just bummed that all this time I have wasted the fins.

Sharks die because they can't swim without the dorsal fin. The purpose of the dorsal fin is to prevent it from rolling over.

Simply put, there are 185 species of sharks that are going to disappear off the face of the planet. You will never see them again. By the sound of your post and several others that are here. You have no problems with that.

So if that is case why post here? This thread is started by someone who cared about the distruction of sharks. Why would you make light of that? If you simply didn't care of the sharks dying, simply say you don't care about animal species going extinct. that's fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

There is no assumption on anyone's part about the disappearance of shark species. It is scientically documented. Which is why shark finning is banned in many places in the world, including the U.S. (http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/556.html). Sharks are not a renewable resource. There are no shark farms. Once they are gone, they are gone for good. Again, why would you dispute that or even make light of it?

Henry

I'm happy to see so many people that are concerned about shark finning. Public opinion really does make a difference to Disney. A few years ago, Disney wanted to build a theme park on top of part of the Bull Run Battlefield here in northern Virginia. Because of public opinion and enough concerned people, the theme park idea was scrapped.

Yes, I too care about finning, as well as all types of ecological concerns - after all we only have one planet. Last year, even though I already committed to a dive trip to the St. Lawrence, I cancelled because the Canadian government raised the number of seal pups to be slaughtered. I emailed or wrote every Canadian official that I could and let them know I cancelled my travel plans because of their decision. Others on the trip cancelled as well for the same reason.

At the National Aquarium in Baltimore, Maryland, there was a one year special program to help the public understand the importance of sharks in the oceans ecology. I feel that it was met with great success and I commend the aquarium for it's program called "Shark Quest"

I've already sent out many emails to friends and fellow divers, encouraging them to contact Disney with their feelings and I'm certain that in the near future, shark fin soup will be off the menu.

This is certainly an issue where cultural sensitivity is important in addition to the ecological issues. Aboriginal cultures in America reportedly used the entire animal for food, ornamentation, tools, etc. Certainly there are examples of waste, and overharvesting, by these cultures (I can point to them right here on Catalina).

The important points made by Mrs.Prages and Quero should be well taken. The issue of shark finning is especially bothersome because so much of the animal is "wasted" in the process rather than utilized. Absolutely no question that this should not be a Western "we" vs Eastern "they" issue. We in the West have plenty of issues we need to resolve as well.

Dr. Bill

PS- Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent to Disneyland H.K.

I was recently informed on ScubaBoard that the new Disneyworld Hong Kong is serving shark fin soup. While I like to be sensitive to other cultures and their customs, I think the promotion of this menu item is unwise given the tremendous impact shark fishing, especially for shark fins, has had on the world's oceans.

One cannot continue to remove so many apex predators without serious consequences. There are even some recent scientific studies that indicate removal of sharks from coral reef areas may be a significcant factor in the algal blooms that are overwhelming many reef systems.

As a research marine biologist, I ask that Disneyworld reconsider this issue and adopt a posture that is more in tune with global environmental needs.

Thank you for your consideration.

Dr. Bill Bushing
Research Marine Ecologist

that's a good email, DrBill

Thanks, H2Andy.

By the way- I know there are Asian divers in China, Singapore, Malaysia and I'm sure other countries that oppose the continued slaughter of sharks for their fins. We should be as vocal about the abuses our own countries commit... and do our best as people who care about the marine environment to educate others as to the problems and why we need to find solutions.

Dr. Bill

Hi all.

My theory is I'm totally against shark fin soup. I am outraged. I hope that Disney World does something about it. People need to realize that sharks are worth more than a cup of soup. If we lose the apex predators, then everything is going to get sick in the ocean, since no one to get rid of the sick and the weak. I have always love sharks and would do anything to save 'em. What a waste of a shark... cutting the fin off and throwing away the rest... maybe they should have a farm of sharks and use every part of them. Then it's not wasteful. Nothing against any culture. It's just important to me. Was certainly interesting to read this thread. Take care everyone.

Matt :1poke:

:balloon
Click here to greet a new member!

No experience needed and it feels great!

Back
Top Bottom