http://www.diveheart.org/

Shark fin soup at Disneyland HK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The PR dept at Disney must be busy, just received my response from them, exactly the same as the one received in previous messages

If there is any justice in the cosmos, a Chinese shark finning boat will sink in shark infested waters, and not be listed overdue for a couple weeks.

Oh this is terrible. Make the bad man stop (and by bad man, I mean the repeat rhewad offender!). GET A CLUE!!!!

Prudent_Rabbit:
The PR dept at Disney must be busy, just received my response from them, exactly the same as the one received in previous messages
I also got exactly the same message.

Does anybody here know what conditions "responsible suppliers" must adhere to under the terms of the various acts and treaties listed in one of the paragraphs of Disney's response?

And does anybody know what "local environmental group" will be elaborating the informative materials to be distributed to prosepective banquet hosts? It would be interesting to find out just what this information will consist of.

This is no different than mid-wives/ob's here informing mothers to be of the effects of drugs on the birth process and their babies. There will always be the ones who insist on an excuse to take drugs, then there are those who make a different decision once they know what the effects are.

To quote from the article:
"When people come to us to plan menus for special events we will offer them many choices of soup. If they insist on shark's fin soup we will give them a leaflet to help them to make an informed choice," according to Disney spokeswoman Irene Chan.

In its own right it could prove to be a very environmentally helpful event by explaing the process that sharks are killed and how so much is wasted. I at least eat the shark when I catch one thats of reasonable size and of favored species.

Its amusing how strikingly similar the practice of eating fin soup is to what the men of the town mentioned in the following article did:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4096586/

I don't wear any Disney clothes, so I already don't support them in fashion....

But come awn....Everyone loves Mr Toads wild ride

If anyone thinks that I'd pay 100 bucks for a bowl of fish chowder, must be more daffy then Daffy Duck.

Hi everyone I am out raged too. The Disney's letter is bunch of BS. They have put a lot of air in it. They don't take it serous, it isn't call shark fin soup for nothing, it is about money. All they seem to be worried about is the curvature and not how or where they get the fins for there soup. Why don't they have mock fin soup? Get some cooks together and make something to taste like the fin soup, then we can move on and if they don't like that then sink all the fining ships. LOL.

I have nothing against any culture but this needs to stop. Some times people need to change for the better.

Maybe we need to contact the owner of the ships to get to change this kind of fishing, fining. The companies can do something about this, they did it for the dolphins when netting fish they can do this to save the sharks.

With every ones help we well make difference. I am going to put up a web site all about sharks some time later, and people can made comments there on how they feel about sharks. I well start to write to big name people, like Bush about the shark fins soup and the need to stop this. Anything is worth a try.

Over 100 million sharks are killed at the hands of humans annually and many populations may be wiped out. This is what needs to stop. Now who is the monster?

We could make the shark an international mascot like we did the eagle.

More than 200 people in Africa are killed by hippos every year—more than by all other wild animals combined. Sharks attack some 50-75 people each year worldwide, with perhaps 8-12 fatalities. I could give you more info but I am done for now.

Take care everyone Matt.

:balloon
Click here to greet a new member!

No experience needed and it feels great!

Excerpted from June 25/26 issue of the Asia edition of the IHT, "Chinese Disney backs off: Park will drop shark's fin soup from menu"

"After weeks of criticism from environmentalists around the world, Hong Kong Disneyland announced Friday that it was canceling its plans to serve shark's fin soup at wedding banquets in the park.

As Walt Disney prepares to open its newest amusement park on Sept. 12, its executives have taken pains to show sensitivity to Chinese culture. But the company's decision to offer sharks' fin soup, popular at festive occasions in China for two centuries, drew angry reactions from many quarters.

Hong Kong Disneyland said that after careful research, it had concluded that shark fishing could not be conducted in an environmentally sustainable way.

Don Robinson, group managing director of the park, said: 'Striking the right balance between cultural sensistivities and conservation has always been our goal, and we believe this decision is consistent with our ongoing commitment to conservation and responsible consumption practices.'"

Public pressure does work--Congratulations to all of us for bringing Disney around.

wow...

i don't believe it

Disney did the right thing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom