Shark Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Later this month, I have to give a presentation on sharks at a local science center. It will be a one hour power point presentation.

My general outline is this:

1. The majestic aura of sharks (lots of pics)
2. Their life styles (spawning, time to maturity, life span, eating habits etc)
3. Your risks of a shark attack (swimmer, surfer, diver, boater) & what you can do to minimize risks
4. The destruction of the shark population by man and the importance of sharks in the ecosystem
5. what can each person in the audience do the stop the carnage of sharks

I have a lot of nurse shark images but few of the other species worthy to use in a presentation. If I can use other SB's images in this pitch, I'll put your credits into my pitch. I also would like other suggestions like little known shark habits.

Thanks
Joe :cool2:

Sent you a PM!

This is my favorite pic from my expedition with Shark Diver Magazine.

3126793990_e16a328391.jpg

Carolyn:shark2:

Here are a few I took last year at Isla Guadalupe. Sorry my quality is not the best

PICT0543.jpg

PICT0547.jpg

PICT0374.jpg

PICT0172.jpg

The white sharks at Guadalupe are studied and identified using sex, markings on gill flaps, tail fin, pelvic fin, etc.. To see the identifying database of Guadalupe white sharks click the link below

PIER Fish Finder

Good luck

Sean

Thanks so much for pic's Carolyn & Trog...they are great! PM me your addresses...I'll send you a CD of the pitch when I complete it.

A side note...the more research I do into "shark finning" the more disgusted I get

Watching Sharkwater and also seeing photos of a research diver that found hundreds of shark bodies on the bottom during a dive in "protected waters" has driven me to educate and fight for our sharks. The asian restaurants here in Savannah that serve shark fin soup etc see me regularly with the most gruesome pics I can find of the slaughter of sharks for their precious soup. Hopefully it will be off the menu soon! I also got my local Kroger to stop selling shark steaks in their store. I also have been heading to schools, summer camps, and daycares sharing my diving experiences and my love for sharks! The kids are our future and I will keep fighting that sharks will still be around for them to see when they have children.

PS: you are very welcome for the pics! I will be going to Tiger Beach again in October, so I am hoping for some really great shots! Hopefully some more encounters with Great Hammerheads. :)

I recommend the following book, SHARK by Mark Carwardine. It is a great source of information and beautiful photos, especially of a lemon giving birth. I use it when I do my presentations at our local schools. You should be able to pick it up at Barnes and Nobles in the animal section in the adult side not kid side :wink:

Unforuntately I don't have any shark pics, just gettihg into underwater photography, but one of my favourite shark facts is that Cocos Island, off the coast of Costa Rica has more sharks per sq. cubic foot than anywhere else on the planet (could lead into why protecting this area is so important). I was amazed at how many sharks we saw with fish hooks dangling from their mouths, which I know could have happened outside of Cocos, but illegal fishing is a huge problem there. Good luck with your presentation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom