Shark ID help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These two have a lot of siilarities, but the photo sure looks like a bull to me.

That reef shark sketch displays a skinny animal. They can be considerably beefier.

Wow, thanks for all the responses.
I compared pictures of this shark with White-Tip Reef sharks I took too, and there seemed to be more distance between the pectoral and dorsal fins on the reef.

Looking at the pix from SueMermaid, I take it the first is the Bull? It looks very similar.

Funnily enough, at my DM graduation dinner (sort of) last night, I whipped out my laptop, and 6 out of 8 divers at the table said 'BULL!' straight off. Of course, the PADI Course Director didn't have a clue...

Now why didn't I buy a camera *before* that Great White swam past in Cape Town...?

Your DM graduation dinner??? Congratulations!!!

Twisticles:
If anyone can ID this shark for me I'd be grateful. It was taken in April, off Koh Samui (east coast Thailand) at about 15m.

I've managed to ID everything else I snapped, but this one has kept me frustrated for hours!

And yeah - I'm new to underwater cameras, and my ID skills are crap...

Thanks in advance.
By any chance was this taken at Chumpon Pinnacle near Koh Tao? I know that area has lots of bulls just out into the blue beyond the reef.

"By any chance was this taken at Chumpon Pinnacle near Koh Tao? I know that area has lots of bulls just out into the blue beyond the reef."

Erm, well at the time I wasn't paying much attention to which snaps were taken on which dive (doh!), but yeah, Chumpon Pinnacle was one of the areas we were diving. High chance it was taken there...

I can't quite make out the eye of the shark, but I can tell that it isn't dark and it doesn't appear to be solid. One of the distinguishing features of a bull shark is there cat-like eye. And this shark appears to have one...

PP

Twisticles:
If anyone can ID this shark for me I'd be grateful. It was taken in April, off Koh Samui (east coast Thailand) at about 15m.

I've managed to ID everything else I snapped, but this one has kept me frustrated for hours!

And yeah - I'm new to underwater cameras, and my ID skills are crap...

Thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom