Shark Pony Bracket - any thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And it could be mounted inverted for the southern hemisphere folks :wink:.
Funny.
I am not a 'slinger' unless it's side mount.
Up with the Hydros pro [simple harness], inverted with either of my 2 wings, just works for me.
I will post photos when either is next setup.

Found one: The 2nd stage for the pony was a Aqualung reversed going under my left arm , it is playing up so an easy fix is this setup, trim weight on the right side, pony on the left.
20210813_095951.jpg

I've used the shark pony mount since January and approximately a hundred dives.

I love it. I started off with a nineteen cf and then quickly moved to a thirty cf.
Only because the thirty wasn't that much more cumbersome than a nineteen.

Its a solid unit albeit two things.

The welding on buckles are not stainless steel and have begun to rust.
The protective rubber tubing is utter rubbish and started ripping and flaking off from dive one.

I like that it remains simple in use and aesthetics but its clearly there was a lot of though put into the design. I am referring to the J hook that aligns the unit to the primary tank, which also acts as a safeguard in case the cam band buckle opens up. Even if the cam band opens up, the pony will remain put.

Funny.
I am not a 'slinger' unless it's side mount.
Up with the Hydros pro [simple harness], inverted with either of my 2 wings, just works for me.
I will post photos when either is next setup.

Found one: The 2nd stage for the pony was a Aqualung reversed going under my left arm , it is playing up so an easy fix is this setup, trim weight on the right side, pony on the left. View attachment 681138

After the incident, I started going back through all of my gear set ups, solo, buddy, single, twin. Trying to simplyfy and reduce failure points and eliminate complexity: This is my 19 but the 30 rides the same. I use a chocker up top to help tuck it in, bicycle tube or bungee (and the ol'Calypso is retired in favor of a new AL Core octo):

IMG-3461.jpg

In addition to a MkV first and Core second on a 36 inch Miflex hose there is a 6 inch braided hose with a one inch SPG. I can move the pony bottle rig from tank to tank with no re-rigging, thus:

0-ixgk7p-Te2-E-J7w-I.png

I think I am going to order the Shark when I get back from an up coming trip to experiment with. I have used back mounted pony systems in the past and the Shark seems to address many of the negatives I experienced.

James

The welding on buckles are not stainless steel and have begun to rust.
The protective rubber tubing is utter rubbish and started ripping and flaking off from dive one.

Good to know, mine has no rust [yet] so I will use some Cold galvanizing paint on the welds, I also ditched the rubber tubing the first day and replaced it with what I had [still looking for something better].

Good to know, mine has no rust [yet] so I will use some Cold galvanizing paint on the welds, I also ditched the rubber tubing the first day and replaced it with what I had [still looking for something better].

Rust were stainless steel has been welded is normal and of no concern. The steel is slightly contaminated when welded, for lack of a better explanation at this time. It is normal. Those welds may last longer than you.

James

Rust were stainless steel has been welded is normal and of no concern. The steel is slightly contaminated when welded, for lack of a better explanation at this time. It is normal. Those welds may last longer than you.

James
And thanks again, what I know about welding is not much, I did have a go at underwater welding diving in the Navy, well they wanted a laugh and had us all have a go at it [we had specially trained divers for that skill] , I was never asked to try again, my piece of steel looked like baked beans on toast, yeah, they all had a good laugh. Such fun.:cool:
Off topic, again.

The video is very informative. I'm learning to use a slung 19cf. I'm looking at a back mount using a pair of Zeagle HD Pony Bottle straps (8029HD) as an alternative.

61J46fcMu1L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

One of my favorite quotes is from Albert Einstein.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction".

20210912_083910.jpg 20210912_083418.jpg Hog wing setup inverted pony and Scubapro X Tek pure harness the same [Mk25 and s600s on one Mk10 and G250s on the other].
Shark pony bracket.
20210912_080239.jpg View attachment 681416 20210912_083356.jpg

Slung cylinders are are more complex, this is easy on/off and does not bang and clang on stuff [gave that up].

What is more complex about a slung tank? The hose is nearly stowed. I can see the SPG easily. It clips to my chest and waist d rings. I can unclip it to hand it off to another diver should I need to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom