shark teeth, venice, buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdscuba

Registered
Reaction score
I am a newbie I will be vacationing in florida august 18th-29 I would like to dive near alahambra my wife and I have been reading the post but she does not dive and I am afraid to go without a buddy we will be in the area of venice monday the22nd I can go the morning of 23rd and I can go again the morning of 26 or 27th I say mornings because it seems that is the best time to dive we fly out on sunday morning, they say you should wait for 24 hours after dive so I do not want to go too late on sat. Does anyone know of a area that is safe for solo dives, thanks any info would be appreciated.

jdscuba:
I am a newbie I will be vacationing in florida august 18th-29 I would like to dive near alahambra my wife and I have been reading the post but she does not dive and I am afraid to go without a buddy we will be in the area of venice monday the22nd I can go the morning of 23rd and I can go again the morning of 26 or 27th I say mornings because it seems that is the best time to dive we fly out on sunday morning, they say you should wait for 24 hours after dive so I do not want to go too late on sat. Does anyone know of a area that is safe for solo dives, thanks any info would be appreciated.

Hey JD, thedaddy (aka Steve) gave me some great information in this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=107236 about toof diving in Venice. I would love to go tooth hunting with you, although I also am new. Unfortunately, I am only available to do so on the weekends so that leaves only Saturday the 27th. Since my son is recovering from his fight with the Dentist (my understanding is the Dentist was tooth hunting too and came out of the fight with 4 extra wisdom teeth) I am buddy-less for a few weeks. Drop me a PM if you are interested and maybe we can learn together.

Deep Hull:
Hey JD, thedaddy (aka Steve) gave me some great information in this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=107236 about toof diving in Venice. I would love to go tooth hunting with you, although I also am new. Unfortunately, I am only available to do so on the weekends so that leaves only Saturday the 27th. Since my son is recovering from his fight with the Dentist (my understanding is the Dentist was tooth hunting too and came out of the fight with 4 extra wisdom teeth) I am buddy-less for a few weeks. Drop me a PM if you are interested and maybe we can learn together.
sounds great! I sent you a PM I hope you get it.

I envy you guys - I would love to go, but work beckons. I may try to sneak over and flex my schedule. It really is addictive and fun. Hopefully you will run into some of the regulars over there they're great guys.

Morning sure seemed a lot better than early afternoon and I don't think you have to worry about flying - the max depth I saw was about 19' and I think my guage dropped into a depression in the sand. :~)

Good luck and I hope you find a couple of big meg teeth.

thedaddy:
I envy you guys - I would love to go, but work beckons. I may try to sneak over and flex my schedule. It really is addictive and fun. Hopefully you will run into some of the regulars over there they're great guys.

Morning sure seemed a lot better than early afternoon and I don't think you have to worry about flying - the max depth I saw was about 19' and I think my guage dropped into a depression in the sand. :~)

Good luck and I hope you find a couple of big meg teeth.
thanks for the words of encouragement hope you can make it!

Got other stuff going on those weekends and work during the week. Don't be too afraid to do a solo dive off Venice, theres really nothing to it (not to mention the fact that there really isn't anything left alive in the Gulf anyways). Obviously do not do it if you don't feel comfortable but there really is nothing to it. Viz is not very good but once you get down and start looking 6" may as well be 6'. Good Luck!

You know, '901 is right. It _is_ nice to have a couple of other divers there to compare and talk with, but there's not much to it. Between limited vis and courtesy to other hunters, you are essentially solo'ing once you hit the water anyway. The only thing is , the boaters might have more of a tendency to stay away from multiple flags.

Understand, I am a complete newb at this type of dive, but I think I have a perspective to know what type of info you may be looking for without assuming any prior knowledge that the more experienced might forget you don't have. PM me for my phone # and I would be happy to talk to you.

The only unknown is how and where to start: when you head out you will see the usual shell field at the surf line, then a stretch of clean sand about 25 yds, then the debris pockets start. Look for one that is predominantly dark/black and you have found a good place to look for fossils and teeth. Fan a bit here and there to displace the surface silt and look closely. It takes a bit to program your brain to target on the little horshoe shaped roots and the general triangle shape of teeth (I'm slow - it took about half the first dive to 'get it'). Once you find one, then two, then ten, then you start feeling like you know what you are doing.

You could also entertain going out with one of the charters on your first days there and then go solo. The people I talked to that went out on the Florida West charters seemed happy, but I don't know the price or what your financial situation is.

thanks again for the info I will PM you. We tried for a place on Florida west but they were booked so we thought we would do our own thing I was wondering about the red tide situation will the red tide effect diving or surf activities we were down there around this same time last year between hurricanes and did not see anything hopefully we can avoid a hurricane this year but I saw this morning another one may be brewing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom