Shark tooth diving in Potomac river?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info. There definitely is meg teeth here. I have many of them framed in my house that were found on our beach. 2 to 4 inches. I don't live on a farm in Blacksburg. I haven't changed my location yet. I live on a farm in King George, VA on the potomac. So I am also very familiar with stratford hall and Wakefield.

I know this thread is ancient, but it is exactly what I was looking for and I wanted to see if anyone had new information on it? I have been fossil gathering along the beach at Westmoreland State Park in Kings County, VA and I know that only the small ones wash up there. I also know that you are technically not allowed to swim from the beach, so you can't shore dive. I haven't found any rules against diving from a boat, though, nor against collecting anything in the water. Does anyone have any insight on these things, or other tips for shallow "grey water" diving and collecting?

Sorry, I've moved out of the area and didn't pursue this idea.

potomac diving for megs

i dive there weekly from my boat and i have found many meg teeth
so faar largest is 3.5 in IMAG1074.jpg

Willing to share any locations? I don't have a boat, but am looking for shore diving locations for teeth. Also interested in hearing from anyone that has been diving at Calvert Cliffs and knows of any boats that go there and if anyone has been diving at Brownie's Beach in MD.

I know this is a very old thread, but I was wondering if anyone is still making any Chesapeake bay/Potomac River trips for sharks teeth these days. I've looked at some charts of Sharks tooth/Hollis Island in the Potomac and it looks like a lot of shallow water surrounding the island with some hard bottom that may be worth exploring. I'm not sure what the water clarity is in that part of the Potomac, but would be very interested in trying it out. Although the owners of the island get a $125 per year fee to collect on the island, you could avoid that by diving from a boat. I have a 15 foot boat that would serve nicely for diving in the Potomac. Anyone still interested in diving the Potomac? If anyone has been diving in that area, what is the best time of year to go?

---------- Post added April 17th, 2014 at 02:53 PM ----------

I live out in the Shenandoah Valley off of rt 81. I have recently gotten back into diving and purchased new equipment. I would very much like to dive the Potomac for sharks teeth. If you or anyone else would like to meet up and go sometime, I would be up for it. I have a 15 ft boat w/outboard that's been sitting in my garage for a few years, but it wouldn't take much work to put it into order for diving.

We do a Potomac trip from Westmoreland once or twice a year for teeth and use a pontoon boat for a dive platform. Vis was a few feet with a slight current. Depth was 8-20' and the water is cold. A couple years back I found my first fossilized shark tooth on the bottom of the river.:D

Back
Top Bottom