Shark tooth Diving in Venice Florida, Where have you had luck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devin27

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,

I am planning a trip to Venice beach to go shark tooth hunting. I Need some help answering some questions I have

Where should I dive?, is the hunting with Florida West Scuba better or should I just shore dive?

Where do I look once underwater, just dig around or is there certain things to look for?

Where have you had luck finding good specimens?

Any other advice you might have would be greatly appreciated

Thanks everyone

Sir, you have come to the right place.... I just returned from diving venice beach not but 6 days ago.... and it was a blast... When you get to venice beach go the furthest north parking lot, and park right near the little walkway to the beach.... get there early as it fills up fast! When you walk through the walk way there is a lifeguard tower... directly to the right of that in the water is one of the swim buoy's... go about 75 yards past that swim buoy to the north of the tower and drop down, you will be in around 17ft of water, on a sweet reef... and the teeth we found were little maybe 1/2" to 3/4" and they see to be in the loose gravel and grit around the reef.... locals were diving more to the south but were coming up empty handed! Capt. Tim from Narcosis Scuba in Tarpon Springs is who gave us the directs and the spot... we came back with ohh around 30-40 teeth that day... viz was good on the first dive, but fell out very quickly as the day went on...

Go to the florida conch forum and look up venice beach. There is all kinds of info and directions there. We usually shore dive at a spot called Alahambra a little south of the 1st posters spot. It is not uncommon to come home with a hundred or so teeth. The viz is hit or miss at times but the diving is always fun! Good luck!

If you are looking for the big teeth you wont have much luck shore diving. I live and dive in the area and I would suggest giving Scuba West a call. They make trips every day weather permitting and the Capt. is pretty good about putting ou on the big teeth.
He can also explain all the tricks to ya.
Capt. Herb

If you are looking for the big teeth you wont have much luck shore diving.

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. I have quite a nice collection of big teeth, as large as 5 1/2". All found from the shore.

I have a nice collection of 3"-4" megs that I've collected both shore and yak diving on the Venice beaches

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. I have quite a nice collection of big teeth, as large as 5 1/2". All found from the shore.

I agree with Reefguy. All but 1 of my megs came from beach dives, to include my 5 1/2 inch one.

I agree with Reefguy. All but 1 of my megs came from beach dives, to include my 5 1/2 inch one.

Gotta keep rubbing that one in, don't ya? :D

I've been wanting to dive for teeth in Venice too! I just got a new boat - bay boat, not necessarily a dive boat, but enough to get me and someone else out to a dive site. I'll supply the boat and half the gas if anyone that knows where/how to find teeth wants to go with me, show me the ropes and split the gas. BTW - I'm in Punta Gorda...

I've been wanting to dive for teeth in Venice too! I just got a new boat - bay boat, not necessarily a dive boat, but enough to get me and someone else out to a dive site. I'll supply the boat and half the gas if anyone that knows where/how to find teeth wants to go with me, show me the ropes and split the gas. BTW - I'm in Punta Gorda...

You got to hit the bone yard. You can put the boat in the water in Venice and then it's a short ride out. I do not have numbers to give you but can tell you this. Head out into the gulf, turn south. You will see the pier and the is the south end. From the pier look north and you will see culvert pipes. The bone yard is between the first set of pipes and the pier about 1 to 1.5 miles off shore. Depth will range from 25 to 30.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom