Shark tooth Diving in Venice Florida, Where have you had luck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wife and I are just getting our padi cert. Would like to do some shore diving in Venice, any recommendations? Wanted to do the shark diving but they weren't very thrilled about taking a couple of newbies out there. Gone to Venice for years, is Caspersan a good spot? Thanks for any help

Excellent - thanks!

Wish I could go there. Maybe some day. Till then, I'll settle for a shore (knee deep) find here in sunny so cal. 1 3/4" fossil gw (renewed my desire for certification)

I run two sharks tooth dives a summer with Florida West Scuba School and have had good luck wherever they take you. He goes out about 1 to 2 miles and we just dove on April 20 and my son found a $300 tooth just laying on top. Of 12 divers on the boat, all found teeth and they ranged from 1/2 inch up to 4 inches. I think you would have better luck going out with Florida West becuse if you dive off the beach you have to contend with the wave action unless it's very calm. I have heard of some fairly large teeth being found off shore but with the boat you don't have to drag equipment to the beach and back and are not sure if you're in an area where you will find teeth. I have been running these dives for four years now and have not come back disappointed with any dive. Visibility in April is about 4 to 6 feet with water temp about 67 to 73 degrees. In August the water temperature gets to 80+ degrees but the visibility cuts down to about 3-4 feet. You don't need a light but I would suggest a "buddy line" which is line, about 10 feet in length, to keep your buddy around but you don't have to be looking for him while looking for teeth. Another item is a compass to keep yourself going in the right direction of where the best hunting area is located. The captain and dive shop owner, Steve Thacker, is also an archaeologist and can identify anything you bring up. There are also other prehistoric artifacts to be found such as whale ribs, mastedon teeth etc. The trip cost is around $65 and includes two tanks with air, water and soft drinks and a large cookie on the boat. Have fun! George

I recently called West Florida Scuba and was told that they are booked every weekend until Mid August when some days open up (but not for long). I ended up making a reservation for September.

My wife and I dive Venice every Saturday. We do the Venice pier. Off to the right in a direct line with the bath house. Have an inflatable tube type flag with diver below written on it. Stop by and say hi! We get like 100 - 300 per dive. Found a 5 in here and there and a few 1 in +. We sprinkle the little ones on the sand so the kids we see there and take home a trophy. Much fun.
Tips and tricks for Venice? Don your gear in the parking lot and walk straight in. Go right to the car when you get out and sand wont be an issue. Shower is at the edge of the parking lot to rinse off.

we are about to make our first trip to venice next weekend, any tips? we want to find alot of teeth, its my husbands birthday trip

Watch the weather for east winds for 2 or more days. This will give you better viz. Get there early, parking is limited. Check Florida West to see if they have spots open on the boat for best chance to get some teeth.

i recently called west florida scuba and was told that they are booked every weekend until mid august when some days open up (but not for long). I ended up making a reservation for september.

try Aristakat Charters, they will try to work your schedule.
capt jamie @ 941-321-0852

dm bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom