Shark tooth photos for fossil divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice tie job Lee. Nice tooth. Is the color natural or polishing rouge?

Thanks lee, No polishing, no touch up, no coloring, no oil... I personally like them just cleaned...

Good thoughts for your friend Phil...

lee

I dive off North Carolina and have found more teeth than I know what to do with... I have given a bucket load away to teachers teaching young kids in schools, family, friends, and neighborhood kids... Here is the one I wear and my very first foray into jewelry making...! Not much but I like it...

View attachment 100160

I need to dig out some pics of the necklaces I have made. I mostly wear Mako teeth but I do have one Meg necklace and one angy. My meg is very similar to yours. nice toothy necklace! LOL

My intent is not to be depressing, but I am going to post an update on my friend of 15 years, Phill Myers. Phill is a local river dive boat captain and fellow fossiler. He is not well at all. He has been in intensive care for over a week after numerous surgeries. I have never met anyone that enjoys fossiling more than this man. Lets wish him well regardless of what the future has to hold.

To all acquaintances of Phill Myers: He is still in Orangeburg Hospital. He had a setback on Monday, Aug 1. A CT showed an abcess in his abdomen. He was given several strong antibiotics, in hopes that another surgery could be avoided. Will try to update when possible. We wish to thank all of you who have made calls and sent texts, inquiring about his welfare.

Phill is one in a million, I do believe he is part frog, lol
I called yesterday and he is still in ICU. Hopefully today is going better then yesterday and tomorrow even better.
Get well Phill! we'll be in the water before ya know it~!

Mike...Phill was my only Edisto river boat. I asked Johnny to call me in regards to fossiling the Cooper but in light of what has been going on I don't know that he is even running his boat this season. He never called. I am a green light for the Edisto, Cooper, or Wando. I know another Captain that use to run the Cooper. I will check up on him. Last I heard he was tech training at 300 feet. I am doing blue water the 21st and Labor Day.

Hello Bill,

The Date: Sunday the 21st

The boat departs Charleston marina at 8am. They request you be at the store at 7am. They do all the paperwork, then take all customers, tanks, and gear to the marina in their van with trailer. I remember the duration of the boat ride to be somewhere in the 50 to 80 minute range. Better to check with them on the duration if you need something accurate. To me, a 1 hour duration, is tolerable, and if the water is smooth, will be an very enjoyable outing. I have become a big fan of short boat rides. Those 7 minute boat rides to 80 feet of blue water (southern Florida) have spoiled me. I am leaving the "helldiver" stuff to the younger guys. I have done more than my share of that. My suspicion is the 3 offshore ledges running parallel to the coastline are connected to the NC ledges. I found the site (been there once) to be a limestone bed. It was a concretion that was hardened and I had to use my dive knife on it. I will likely traverse upstream (on the bottom) from the anchor, poking and digging as I go. Will enjoy your company. I am going for the outing. If I don't come away with anything, no big deal.

The retail store is Charleston Scuba

The dive site is:

Little Gardens Reef

This natural ledge site is perfect for easy navigation with lots of critters and fish to see. At a depth of 75 feet there are plenty of large lobster and nurse sharks.

Cost: $130.00/2 dives

The boat is an Island Hopper
the_trinity.jpg

Here is what I dug out last visit

Thanks Lee,
I will try to make it but I will have to see what we have going on first. Here are my finds from today. I hit a pile of Megalodon Teeth and a Giant Ground Sloth tooth. This is only the second one I have ever found.

080511e.jpg080511.jpg080511b.jpg080511c.jpg

Attachments

• 080511d.jpg
    080511d.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 343
Here are some photos of a Megalodon sharks tooth. I found this specimen in the Edisto river (South Carolina) about 6 weeks ago. It is from the Miocene-Pliocene (5-24 million year ago) time period. It measures 3.95 inches. The teeth we usually find in this location are called Angustidens. The Angustiden is an earlier version of the Megalodon and is similar but has cusps. The angular shape of this tooth identifies it as a rear tooth. It was very dirty when I found it so I cleaned it and polished it. I am new to cleaning and polishing sharks teeth and I found out that I do not like the looks of a polished root. I like the enamel polished only. The root on this tooth has some degradation but otherwise is a nice find for a hobbyist like myself. I buffed this tooth using black polishing rouge and a 6" high speed cloth buffing wheel.

click-able

Last edited:
Talked with Phill last night, he is back home and doing a lot better. He wanted my to tell y'all thanks for the well wishes, positive thoughts and prayers. He'll be back in the water in no time~!

I was shocked when I saw Phill's name pop up on my cell phone today. From what he described, the operations almost killed him. He said after the operations he did not think he was going to be capable of diving again and went into a deep depression. Apparently, as of late, he has evaluated his physical self and feels certain he will dive again. Other than family, I know the man lives to fossil hunt the rivers. He said there is one more BIG SHARKS TOOTH in that river that he has not got yet and he is going after it. I want to go on record as saying WELCOME BACK PHILL! The rootin tootin gaul darnest fossil hunter this side of the Mississippi river ...

Back
Top Bottom