Sharkbanz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is basically a really strong magnet (rare earth neodymium most likely) sealed in a rubber watch strap.

This 'danger' of sharks has been covered a lot, but most sharks are pretty cautious around people. They tend to be scared of bubbling divers in my experience, and never really approach unless encouraged (i.e.: chumming and feeding). The only time I even tend to see them is while spearfishing, and have only really seen them approach divers when they are hungry and said diver has a stringer full of dead fish on their side. I have only seen 1 great hammerhead in my life underwater, and he spooked and ran when my dive buddy hummed to get my attention and pointed at him (we were both on rebreather, so no bubbles).

If you want to make one of these, just go get some neodymium magnets and glue them to a wrist or ankle band, but as to how effective they really are, I am not a marine biologist specializing in sharks, and it is doubtful you will ever find a definitive answer. Some quick research yielded a few peer-reviewed scientific papers where the theory behind the device is discussed and tested, with some positive results.

It appears that the Ampullae of Lorenzini (the electroreceptors) can be affected by permanent rare earth magnets, but this organ has a range of about 50-60cm, so it probably has to be within about two feet of the sharks sensors on the nose to exert any effect. In one study they placed magnets with small sharks in a confined space and did notice they avoided the immediate area around the magnets, in the other study they placed the magnets near sharks and the sharks were 'roused'. There is also data from some fisheries studies showing that magnets used on nets and catch lines reduce shark by-catch, so it appears to deter them a bit from fishing nets. However, there is also some mention of additional data that suggests if sharks are in an environment where there is strong feeding drive and clear water the sharks will use vision instead of electroreception to function, so the magnets might not be enough deterrent.

Either way, definitely keep it away from your dive computer, as rare earth magnets and electronics are a bad combo.

Last edited:
My question is what the effective range is. If we're talking a foot or two, having one on my wrist is not going to help much with a bull shark noshing on my leg. It would probably cut down on the "nips" on surfers and swimmers that make up the vast bulk of shark attacks.

The principal is sound; Dr. Pat Rice is a friend of mine and he's been working on this for about a decade now. I think the biochemical repellents he was working on were better options for divers; less chance of carking your electronics and the stuff really sent everything packing when the testers popped the can.

Last edited:
the FAQ's on the website suggest keeping it away from electronics.

[h=3]Will Sharkbanz affect my dive computer and other scuba electronic systems? [/h]Sharkbanz technology can harm electronic devices, including electronic scuba equipment, and should be kept at least 12 inches (30cm) away from these devices. If you are handling electronic equipment while diving, we suggest placing Sharkbanz on your ankles to avoid direct contact with the electronics.

And they claim an effective range of 3-6 ft
[h=3]What’s the range of sharkbanz? [/h]The field is about 1-2 meters (about 3-6 ft). The unpleasant sensation becomes intense for the shark at about 1 meter, becoming exponentially greater each inch closer.

I am also interested in knowing how effective it would be with a stringer full of fish, that is the only time I would be interested in one

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 12:49 PM ----------

I found in the amazon comments someone posted about this alternative that seems cheaper, but I am not sure of how comparable they are.

getfinban

While spearing I have had my contact with sharks wanting a free meal. Though I have not tried it, a friend of mine used shark shield while spearing and he said that sharks coming at him for his catch would turn and shake when they got to 15 feet. He described it as being very similar to a human getting hit but a stun gun. Needles to say no shark was close enough to get his stringer.

While spearing I have had my contact with sharks wanting a free meal. Though I have not tried it, a friend of mine used shark shield while spearing and he said that sharks coming at him for his catch would turn and shake when they got to 15 feet. He described it as being very similar to a human getting hit but a stun gun. Needles to say no shark was close enough to get his stringer.

I have read similar reviews from people using the sharkshield, but this being a hundredth of the price of a shark shield I would be happy if it indeed delivers what it claims.

I am barely starting to spearfish and haven't had any close encounters, it has always been a case of "they are there and checked us out from a far and never saw them again". However my buddy who I spearfish with had on one occasion to deal with at least six sharks insistently paying close attention (making close swipes). I'd rather not deal with that many.

You could try a couple of neodymium magnets glued to your backplate or in a pocket.

Magnets - is there anything they can't do?

I looked over their "research" page. Seems to be a some wishful thinking involved. That is, from reading a handful of abstracts I get the impression that there is a good chance some sharks can perceive magnetic fields, but, only at fairly short distances (inches). And, its not clear that this perception leads to avoidance.

MythBusters tested it, there was no repellant effect to bait boxes with and without very strong magnets surrounding the boxes.

It's dangerous bunk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom