Sharks and other critters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RP Diver

Reaction score
One of the great places to see all sorts of marine life is the Sea of Cortez. I've dived with hammerheads at a couple of sites out of La Paz, Baja. El Bajo is a place where they are seen schooling quite often, and we had 3 dives there on one trip, saw them schooling by the dozens on the first dive, then were only able to find a couple of solo sharks on the next 2 tries. The last dive we did get to see a big one (3-4 m.) up close, as he (she?) swam under us, then up the face of the sea mount no more than 15 or 20 feet away. The other site where we saw one from about 80 feet away is known as Las Animas.

On another trip out of La Paz, we had the incredible good fortune to snorkel with whale sharks on 5 different occasions. During that trip we also saw a couple of fin whales, snorkeled with a pod of pilot whales, mantas, dolphins... I even got my first intimate acquaintance with a Man o' War on that trip - not something I care to do again if I can avoid it.

There is also a site there called Los Islotes where you get the opportunity to dive with sea lions... a couple of my best dives ever were there, playing with the juveniles. An amazing interactive experience with wild creatures.

Highly recommended in the fall (October - December) for the first trip, and April for the whales and whale sharks. We were on the Don Jose live-aboard booked through Baja Expeditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom