• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Sharks at night - what do they do?

Discussion in 'Shark Forum!' started by Schwob, Dec 10, 2017.

1. kaerius

kaerius Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I've seen nurse sharks on night dives(including having them swim right by me, with barely an inch of room to spare), they're nocturnal hunters.

Some other sharks are conspicuous by their absence at night, I did a lot of night dives in the Maldives where reef sharks are plentiful, white tip, black tip, and grey... and but I only saw white tips on any night dive.

2. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

Where? The grey nurse sharks I saw at Fish Rock, Australia, were quite active during the day. I did not dive at night to see what their behavior was like then.

3. John Bantin

John Bantin Dive Shop

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Alimata, Maldives - check it out!

wetb4igetinthewater likes this.
  4. kaerius

kaerius Instructor, Scuba

Maldives. During the daytime the only ones I saw were resting in a cave, and during night time I saw a bunch of them very active, near a fisherman's pier. Dozens of nurse sharks and even more assorted stingrays, all around us, I had several nurse sharks pass close enough that I could've accidentally bumped them just by turning around. We actually had nurse sharks circling us on the safety stop too.

*checks divelog* Yup, Alimatha Faru.

wetb4igetinthewater likes this.
  5. DiveTheGalapagos

DiveTheGalapagos ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Tagging has shown that the Galapagos sharks around Wolf Island (Galapagos) stick pretty close to the shoreline during the day and head out about 2 kilometers to feed at night.

6. WeRtheOcean

WeRtheOcean Nassau Grouper

My only experience with sharks in the wild was at night.

I was stationed at Pearl Harbor. We were in port, and I was standing the midwatch (midnight to 4am) on the quarterdeck. I had to go over to the opposite side for some reason (the side away from the pier), and in the ship's lights, I saw the water was full of hundreds of baby hammerheads.

7. KenGordon

KenGordon Rebreather Pilot

The BBC series ‘Shark’ has a bit about this in episode one at about 32 minutes. It is on Netflix. This bit might actually be an outtake from Blue Planet II.

Schwob likes this.
  8. John Dickerson

John Dickerson Angel Fish

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    On a night dive at Stetson Bank, 2 large (10-11 ft) bull sharks followed my youngest daughter and I around for the entire dive. They stayed at the very edge of our light beams, but were always there until we started our ascent. So at least 2 of them swim around at night.

Schwob and Fibonacci like this.
  9. John Bantin

John Bantin Dive Shop

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
  10. divad

divad Solo Diver

Eat stuff?