Sharks having a go at my video lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if it was the purple colour?

I don't see the sharks going after video lights - I see sharks waiting to be fed going after a diver who keeps pushing them away... and lots of photograpkers taking pics of this behavior - with sticks to poke at the sharks they lured in...

They love to bump cameras. Not sure what it is, but if your shooting in a group of sharks you are almost guaranteed a couple bumps.

How do divers make it back to the boat after feeding the sharks. It's one thing to look like a bubbly rock on the bottom, but the safety stop must be interesting...

Sharks seem attracted to strobes, presumably because of the electrical fields. (My husband has theorized when he uses 2 strobes of different models, the resulting field or sound is especially "interesting" to them.) I once saw him and another photographer get repeatedly bumped while they went near no one without cameras. I don't know if this would apply to continuous large lights are as interesting, or how the electronics differ.)

Possibly. My guess would be that it’s more of a playful thing, but to be honest I have no scientific reason to think either way.

The only reason for my “playful” guess is I would think if they were checking to see if it’s edible they would just do a test bite. But then again I have heard of them test biting camera’s too. So I guess the case could be made the strobe makes them think it’s an erratic movement like a baitfish.

Last week I was in Cozumel with a group and one of the guys went to Playa Del Carmen for a bull shark dive. I would have went with him but I wanted to dive the Cenotes that day. He said the big aggressive female shark bumped his camera multiple times and he got some impressive video.

I have seen a lot of videos of dolphins playing with things, but have never one of a playful shark. If you or your camera get bumped, I am pretty sure the shark is seeing if you and/or your camera might be on the daily special menu.

I have seen sharks on lots of my dives, even shot fish in front of them. I got charged once, and that is the only time I felt like the shark was ready to take a bite out of me.

Sharks are very playful, like a dog. Very curious. if they aren’t turning sharp and fast you have nothing to worry about, in my opinion

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom