Sharks in Thailand ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altarose

Contributor
Reaction score
Are there many sharks around the snorkeling sites. We are avid snorkelers and that will be the main focus of this trip, but I would hate to spend thousands to get there and then have my wife be afraid to go into water because of sharks, we plan on visiting several of the coastal islands (best snorkeling)
We are well traveled and can handle the land sharks :)

Between 1580 and 2011, there was one confirmed shark attack in Thailand in 2000. This was pulled from the international shark attack files. Just putting on her swim suit is probably a greater risk, from tripping, etc.

I wish there were more sharks in Thailand. They all seem to have been killed.

From a Koh Tao perspective - you can see sharks in Shark Bay, Sai Daeng and if you are (un)lucky in Aow Leuk too. So if you come to Koh Tao - you can avoid - certainly the first two if you dont want to see them. However, they are harmless, there has never been an incident on Koh Tao. Many people come here just for the chance to see one. You do have to be patient and quiet to be rewarded. Honestly they are shy and more scared of you and the noise that you make. Unless you go out looking for them, you are unlikely to see them. However, the way things are going I feel its quite likely that we are to be the last generation to see sharks in the wild - so its definitely worth a look. However if she is super scared - just avoid these areas if you are coming to Koh Tao.....where are you actually going to visit......? Others maybe able to give you more guidance on those specific areas.

I saw what was said to be Bull Sharks at Chumphon Pinnacle. Never seen them before or since so I can't say for sure if they were bulls. There are thousands of beaches in Thailand where you're 99.99% guaranteed not to see a shark while snorkeling.

Are there many sharks in snorkeling spots in Thailand? No
Are there some? Yes

shark_thumb1.gif Is it or isn't it (a Bull shark) ? I don't know but they haven't been seen for around 3 years now. Very sad - this was my last encounter at Chumphon Pinnacle......

Altarose, sharks are way, way waaaaaay down the list of things to be concerned about in Thailand. :wink:
As others said, the chances of actually seeing a shark close to shore are slim at best so your wife can rest assured that it's perfectly safe in that regard.

Funny anecdote time...

The first time I went to Phi Phi, shortly after arriving to Thailand I went on a snorkeling tour around the islands. Having been born and raise on the shores of the River Plate I was very eager to actually being able to see anything underwater.
Anyway, the boat arrives to /ominous music chord/ Shark Point, were they told us we could see reef sharks. As soon as the boat stopped I put on my gear and jumped in, swam to the spot and freedived 8 or so meters down to see what I could find (visibility was rather poor, 7 or 8 meters IIRC).
After the second or third dip I notice that there's not only no sharks to be found, but no snorkelers neither. I turn around to the boat and see all the tourists on the boat looking at me, from the back a voice is heard "Are there any sharks there?". After I assured them there were none to be seen then they started jumping in the water!. :)

Since then, over 5 years living in Thailand and 80 or so dives and lots of snorkeling, I've seen a grand total of two sharks. A whale shark at Richelieu Rock and a Zebra Shark (do I get a gold star for naming it properly?) at Koh Bon. Both perfectly harmless and gentle creatures.

---------- Post Merged at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:49 AM ----------

No sharks but they recently found saltwater crocodiles at Samae San near pattaya and closed the area off to divers. Still never heard any follow up news on that story.

3-meter-long crocodile captured off Samae San - Pattaya Mail - Pattaya News, Communities, Opinions and much more...

"Royal Thai Navy divers captured one of the man-eating reptiles June 3 off Koh Chuang. It was taken to the Sea Turtle Conservation Center in Sattahip where it will be prepared for relocation."

Now, we wouldn't want any wild beast to roam... wilderness like that, would we? :facepalm:

Not that I'd like to meet face to face with one while swimming but the way nature is (read with NYC mobster accent) taken care off here makes me despair. Like a couple years ago, when an enormous python, 7 or 8 meters long IIRC, was found in the forests of Koh Chang, it was promptly shot and eaten.

"Royal Thai Navy divers captured one of the man-eating reptiles June 3 off Koh Chuang. It was taken to the Sea Turtle Conservation Center in Sattahip where it will be prepared for relocation."

Now, we wouldn't want any wild beast to roam... wilderness like that, would we? :facepalm:

Not that I'd like to meet face to face with one while swimming but the way nature is (read with NYC mobster accent) taken care off here makes me despair. Like a couple years ago, when an enormous python, 7 or 8 meters long IIRC, was found in the forests of Koh Chang, it was promptly shot and eaten.

Its a bit of a mystery to me where these croc's came from. I have never heard of them in the wild around here before.
its all gone quiet since the first reporting of the incident a few weeks ago I have heard nothing, and people I ask seem to know nothing. I must find out if the area is re opened to divers yet?

Back
Top Bottom