Sharks in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I swear I am the anti-shark. All I ever see in Florida are nurse sharks and I don't count those lol. We even tried to do a lemon shark dive in Jupiter when they were migrating and we didn't see A SINGLE ONE! We were just down in the Keys and we were spearfishing and still didn't see one. The only time we saw any was when we finished the Adolphus Busch (no spears) and it was so beautiful out and no current we just kept our snorkel stuff on and swam around. We could kind of see the boat at 100 ft. Three carribean reef sharks circled up to us but once they got close enough to us to see we weren't food they left.

Well Gator.....it would appear as though we both need to take Mike's advice on where and when to dive in order to see sharks. I look forward to be able to dive there about an hour before feeding time.

Well Gator.....it would appear as though we both need to take Mike's advice on where and when to dive in order to see sharks. I look forward to be able to dive there about an hour before feeding time.

LOL I have scrapped all efforts of seeing sharks in Florida and I am headed to the Bahamas in five weeks:D.

LOL I have scrapped all efforts of seeing sharks in Florida and I am headed to the Bahamas in five weeks:D.

Well now I am just jealous :( . I hope you have an UW camera so you can post pictures of the sharks you see.

Nurse sharks on the Benwood is almost a given ('specially on the night dives).

We've also seen Caribbean reef sharks on Molasses...

If you want a guarentee'd spot in the keys to see sharks, go to the Islamorads Fish Market at sunset.

Every day at Sunset they feed the fish scraps to the fish. it brings in several large tarpon and some sharks like clockwork....

you can see the sharks patrolling the lagoon/marina for about an hour before "Feeding time".

heh... wait a minute... I didn't mean dive there....

You sit on the on the dock with all the other folks drinking beer and watch them!

I wouldn't reccomend getting in the water with sharks at "feeding time" when it's getting dark and they can't see what they are eating as well. It's also in a marina area, so pretty much someone is likely to have discharged their marine toliet recently and you're likely swimming/diving in someone else's sewage also.

I would definately say this is a land based shark watching event :D

heh... wait a minute... I didn't mean dive there....

You sit on the on the dock with all the other folks drinking beer and watch them!

I wouldn't reccomend getting in the water with sharks at "feeding time" when it's getting dark and they can't see what they are eating as well. It's also in a marina area, so pretty much someone is likely to have discharged their marine toliet recently and you're likely swimming/diving in someone else's sewage also.

I would definately say this is a land based shark watching event :D

Whoops...dodged a bullet there. I thought you were saying this was a good dive spot but what you say makes very good sense about the dark etc.. I guess it is a good thing I am diving cold water in Southern Ontario right now as opposed to that specific marina in Florida.

Last edited:
If you want a guarentee'd spot in the keys to see sharks, go to the Islamorads Fish Market at sunset.

Every day at Sunset they feed the fish scraps to the fish. it brings in several large tarpon and some sharks like clockwork....

you can see the sharks patrolling the lagoon/marina for about an hour before "Feeding time".

not to mention that its an awesome restaurant - get the conch salad! and yes, the tarpon are HUGE!

Whoops...dodged a bullet there. I thought you were saying this was a good dive spot but what you say makes very good sense about the dark etc.. I guess it is a good thing I am diving cold water in Southern Ontario right now as opposed to that specific marina in Florida.

Yep... I should have said that in the first place... sorry about that.

i've got some photo's of the "shark event" at home. will try to bring them in and post them.

not to mention that its an awesome restaurant - get the conch salad! and yes, the tarpon are HUGE!

Yep. great food and great place to enjoy a cold beverage and watch the sunset. The food is all "fish basket" stuff, but as fresh as you can get and taste great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom