Sharks in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After living in the Key West for three years in 1998 thru 2001 I saw several sharks on many dives. If you are diving out of Key West try to get to some of the outer reefs. You should encounter some Nurse Sharks, and maybe some Reef Sharks. Me and my new wife will be in Key West at the begining of Sept for our Honeymoon. We are planning several dives all over the keys. You should really try to get out to Looe Key for a great reef dive.

Most dive sites in Key West have at least one resident Nurse Shark. Several sites (Rock Key, Sand Key, Western Sambo's Cannonball Cut) have Caribbean Reef Sharks. Occasionally we'll see Hammerheads at the reef, but more commonly in the Gulf. Also, occasionally, we have Lemon Sharks and every now and then, a Bull Shark. I see one shark or another on probably 80% of my dives in Key West.

Does anyone know where an electric shark prod can be purchased for sharks that get too nosey?

Does anyone know where an electric shark prod can be purchased for sharks that get too nosey?
A) Sharks are attracted to electromagnetic sources
B) An open circuit in the water is a really bad idea
C) You don't need it. You need to learn how to swim with sharks without acting like bait.

Posted via Mobile Device

A) Sharks are attracted to electromagnetic sources
B) An open circuit in the water is a really bad idea
C) You don't need it. You need to learn how to swim with sharks without acting like bait.
Very good advice...

There are some that carry bang-sticks, however, I'm not a big fan of those, and don't see the need...

Scubafed, if you're that worried about a curious shark showing up, a three-foot length of 3/4" white pvc pipe will keep everyone honest, happy, and at arms length...

Saw a reef shark and a hammerhead on Molasses reef. The hammerhead was at the site called Wench hole. Have always seen nurse sharks in the AM on the City of Washington.

You don't need one - the chances of you seeing a shark other than a nurse are not that great in the the Keys.

Your chances of being attacked and eaten almost as good as winning the lottery. (Really poor odds)

Divers feel lucky to see these magnificent animals - once you do, especially when diving with others - likely you will feel less afraid and be able to appreciate them.

We rented a boat and had so much fun snorkeling on Looe Key we just dove one day and snorkeled the other 6 days. Saw lots of sharks. Wife was swimming next to me when we saw our first shark. He was swimming right toward us and passed about 3 feet directly under us. it was hard for me to get a good picture with her on top of my back.

Back
Top Bottom