Sharks & monthly period

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Ray

I had a Divemaster working with me during a Rescue Diver class that was harrased by 4 to 5 gray sharks while she was waiting to be located and rescued. She later confided in me that she was on her period. I was always told that it made no difference if a woman was on her period or not but after that, who knows? Old blood? I've seen old cow and fish blood attract sharks. Why not other old blood?

Luvdiving

I was diving in the maldives with my wife who at the time had her period and I have to agree we too were hassled by a large grey reefy, he cirled us 3 times before displaying a rather strange aggressive pattern. We backed off and he followed us for about a 100 meter swim.

I do not believe mammal blood does not interest sharks, you only have to look at seal and seal blood in the water and they are not fish!! If a seal is attacked then the sharks go mental.

There is far too little research about Sharks to be able to say yes it does or no it doesnt effect them, all I can say is I think it is Fantastic and a priviledge to have a large shark so close so if it is the case I am greatful to my wife, If I was a woman i'd be a little concerned.

And must throw away those Yum Yum coloured fins!!

LadyDiver ...

So, based on this bit of info, it would make sense that there are more shark attacks on men than women.

It just goes to show you that Sharks ARE NOT mindless killing machines ... They are smart enough to know not to mess with women every 28 days or so ... hehehe ... That's more than can be said about many of us men ... LOL

I can think of many a time where the thought of getting cute or poking at a MAKO that's having a bad hair day, almost seemed "Intelligent" compared to crossing the path of the species otherwise known during such times as the "Pissedoffatus Femaleus"!!

=-)

Have to tread very carefully here!! As I dont want to offend.

If I was a woman I think it would not matter who said what about safely diving with a period or not the fact of the matter they are currently still doing tests on women diving with their periods and have no real results to proove either way. Personally, to me blood is blood old or new and sharks like blood, so if I were a woman it would always be on my mind regardless, sorry.

Are we right to comment on this subject after all we are not exactly qualified to comment here.

Well I may not be a Gynacologist ( Or a good speller ) but we are all commenting on something we know so little about.

Narc

Walter is right. Aside from shark attack files, tests conducted at RSMAS (Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences) at the University of Miami and other institutes indicate that sharks are not attracted to human blood. They are attracted to fish blood and digestive juices.

The idea that sharks are attracted to human blood comes from the movies and a time when we knew far less about sharks than we do now. It comes partly from faulty reasoning and assumptions. It has been known that sharks are attracted to bleeding fish (as when spearfishing) and the assumption was probably made that they are attracted to all blood.

In cases where sharks attacked humans, blood was probably thought to be the main factor until we learned much more about them and learned of other, more likely triggers, such as low frequency sound vibrations.

Narc, being male does not disqualify someone from being able to address this issue or others that affect women. Men can read scientific data and pass on what doctors have said just as easily as women can. The issue is information about blood and sharks, not actual experience with menstruation.

I'm going to have to go with vr on the issue of guys being able to contribute to this particular thread. It does after all involve us too. I'm sure that you have been in the water with a female during her menstruation cycle.

I for one wanna know!

Mario

Narc,

The hopes are that if we can generate enough interest, concern and inquiries that maybe the medical communities will be inspired to dig deeper and take interest in these subjects. Probably just as important is to dispel rumors and set the records straight on the myths and create a safer and more knowledgeable group of divers.

One of the real great things about this forum is we are blessed with the likes of Ernest "scubadoc" Campbell, Michael "Dr Deco" Powell, BillP, John Reinertson and others within the Professional Medical Community that can keep us "in check" and are willing to share what knowledge that is known about these subjects.

For those of you newer to Scuba will quickly find out there are just LOADS of rumors and myths that so many believe are FACT and already we have all learned stuff here from some of the best of the best ....

=-)

If you're going diving with me and see a me chowing on a chocolate bar and a bag of Lay's potato chips with a mean look on my face?.....don't ask! :) Case

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom