Sharks & monthly period

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While on my last dive trip I unexpectedly started…7 days early. Because my cycle is regular I was unprepared and was given “slender” tampons from another woman onboard the boat. My first day is usually a heavy flow and I knew I would probably bleed through a slender. Heck, I was desperate & if I had to change every hour for one day – it beat having to create makeshift pads! Also, as noted on the board earlier, being in the water often stops the flow…so I went diving!

We were diving a wall that began at 15 feet & sloped down to 1,000 feet. Throughout my dive, I stayed at 45-50 feet occasionally looking out at “the blue” just in case I saw something big. About 40 minutes into the dive I saw a Gray Reef Shark, about 10 feet long (no kidding) cruising the top of the reef, heading my way. I thought nothing about my period and instead, video taped the magnificent creature as he glided past me. When we returned to the boat I had bled through the tampon and changed immediately.

1-½ hours later, we hit the water again…same spot…still bleeding heavy and using a slender sized tampon. 20 minutes into the dive I spotted the big Gray Reef Shark again…in 50 feet of water again. My husband had the video this dive so I bolted to find him to so he could capture the shark on film also. I found my husband & signaled him to follow me to where I thought the shark would be now and found him! About 20 feet, the opposite direction I spotted another Gray Reef Shark! (This one was about 8 feet long). The two sharks were heading toward each other…me somewhere in between. They never showed aggression, they just cruised by me. In the back of my mind I thought; “I’ll bet I’m bleeding through again…now what was it they were saying on the Scuba Board about women/periods/sharks?”

It wasn’t until the following day that I “hit the water” again…same spot. My flow was back to normal and my “slender” absorbed perfectly and I saw no sharks.

Do you think its coincidence? What are your thoughts?

I think it could be a coincidence, but then again, the sharks might have just smelled the blood, even though it was old, and been curious as to what was around. Seeing no prey in distress, or YOU in distress, they weren't stimulated to attack or take a test-bite.

When I went diving in Cozumel I was also on my period, and I wore a pad because my last experience with tampons I had gotten sick, with all the symptoms of TSS. I only saw one shark, a nurse shark, and it was quickly moving off in the other direction. I think that ANY kind of blood, old or fresh (Chum blood is kinda yucky and old) will get a shark's attention, but they won't get too interested unless theres a target on the surface, or theres a wounded target in the water.

No matter what everyone says, I am NOT going to stop diving during my periods and would never consider telling guests at the resort I work at that I am having a period at the moment.
As well as being an instructor I do also quide dives in waters where I see sharks on every dive. I have never been asked by guests nor has the subject come up.
We do not feed sharks here and in the 15 years the island has been open to divers, we have never had an attack (touch wood!).
I would encourage women to dive at any time and if a man is that worried about it, perhaps he can do his diving else where!

I have been diving for 6 yrs. and have no problem diving while on my period. There have been no interest for sharks that I have noticed. As far as not diving while having period.... I would never get to dive. LOL It seems every dive trip even if it's not time for it I get it anyway. I had an instructor tell me it was because of the pressures at depth. She also would start early if diving.

While there is no evidence that sharks have any more interest in a menstruating female, having your period while diving is just a pain.

I read some interesting studies about using birth control pills; if you are on the pill you might want to talk to your doctor about extended use. The modern woman has 4-5 times more periods than she was probably ever meant to have from an evolutionary standpoint. Think about it: women 100 years ago started their periods at an average age of 16-18, had children, nursed for multiple years, entered menopause earlier, and had fewer periods overall because of it.

As a result of conversations with my own doctor, I'm now taking pills consistently for 3 months and THEN taking the week-off cycle. I'll end up having only about 4 periods of year. In other words, I'm going through the entire Northern New York wreck diving season without having to worry about it AT ALL.

...Barb

Barb,
I've taken the pill through 2 months so I wouldn't get my period while traveling. But after three months I'm afraid I'll have break through bleeding and it will defeat the purpose. Has that ever happened to you?
:sunny:

So far, so good! No problems yet. It's probably somewhat individual, though, and I have never been prone to breakthrough bleeding.

What an excellent idea!! I haven't taken the pill for many years so I've never thought about it in the context of diving. Thanks for the idea.
Ldreamin

I hope when there is a research project started on this subject that they come here for volunteers!

I'll be the first to sign up!

Birth Control Pills provide women with a week off, only because the inventors (2 men) thought that women psychologically wanted a period to make sure they were "okay" after taking pills for 3 weeks.

There actually is no medical reason you must take that week off, so this is why Doctors will prescibe overlapping weeks of the Pill so that you don't have to have your period.

--Starfish

Back
Top Bottom