Sharks & monthly period

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glidingray,

I am curious - you said you take some medication that delays your period a few days - what is it?

Mo:
Ray wrote: "2. If there is no blood of fish around, sharks do get interested in human blood, in this case: old blood of monthly menstruation.
LOL...guess I will stick to my old way: no dive during monthly period."
--------------------
You apparently never read my post so it's your loss. You CAN dive during your monthly period with NO problems whatsoever. I've been diving for 10+ years & NEVER cancelled a dive due to the fact that I was having my period.

+1. .

Last edited:
Actually glidingray, this has been proven false quite a few times in recent studies. Heck, even Myth Busters proved if false by dropping some tuna blood in a shark tank and the sharks went nuts. Then they dropped some human blood and they could care less. Even when it was right next to their face.
It has also been proven false that sharks can smell a drop of blood miles away or as some say "one drop in an Olympic size swimming pool".
What has been discovered is that it is more like one drop of blood could be detected in 25 gallons of water. I have even started seeing that new drop/25 gal quote in many publications and even Shark Week is now using it.

Do not believe what is in "every movie".

And btw sharks are more interested in swimmers and surfers primarily because
a.) they are underneathe them, the power position is under the prey
b.) they are more prone to mistaken identity of "normal prey"

Never been an issue. I have never had anyone say they have or ask me if I have my period before going for a dive - and id be rather curious as to what sort of person asks that in the first place!. Have never had leakage issues but have cut my hand underwater with 6 large reefies about 15m away who did absolutely nothing but look over and continue on their way. When i am travelling I take the pill so its not an issue - and also because i cannot bring myself to ask for tampons in countries that call them mankins or other wierd things I cannot pronounce - I have never had my doctor say you need to take a break x cycles.

+1 with the above. I get asked this question very regularly.
Never had a problem and I've been in the water with sharks during my period countless times; they could not care less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom