Sharkskin + Freediving wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dive in California, @ about ~52-58 F. I wear a 7 mm scuba wetsuit no hood and 1 mm gloves.

I'm going to dive in 69 - 75 F water. I'm thinking of picking up a freediving wetsuit, high waisted, with hood, and a with sharkskin top and bottom. Anyone have any experience with sharkskin and freediving suits? Does it add 1.5-2mm of warmth like a scuba suit?

Thanks

What kind of freediving (closed cell, open cell, etc?) wetsuit and how are you doing the layering?
If your wetsuit is open cell (unlined inside) I don't think you'd want to put anything between you and the suit, as that'd ruin the benefit of the open cell neoprene. You could layer over the suit for additional warmth, but in that case you'd probably be better served with just going for a slightly thicker freediving suit or a 3mm shorty.

Everyone has a different tolerance to cold so ymmv but I use a 1mm open cell freedive suit in temperatures similar to those you will be diving in and I don't really get cold, even with repetitive dives. For me, the key is keeping the wind off me during surface intervals. With the open cell suit, I can't really take it off to dry off unless I want to lube up again for the next dive, so a good boat jacket is invaluable. (I have the long coat from Surf Fur). I don't know if I'd want to layer anything over the suit while diving but if I did I'd probably just go with a light weight shorty.
I dive in roughly the same configuration you do while in California except I try to tolerate a hood and ditch the gloves. (I do get cold on repetitive dives though).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom