Sharm El-Sheikh F.A.Q.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I do dive DIN regs.. Which is why I have to take the fittings out of the DIN tank valves every time I grab a new tank in Egypt.

:D Hmmm... I guess it depends on where you dive, and what operation you dive with. And maybe whom they cater to.

And maybe when... our experiences were in the 2004-2007 time frame, when there were still hardly any Americans making their way to Egypt. Never saw any divers with INT/yoke regulators there at all (Extra Divers at the Iberotel Makadi Beach (2004 and 2005), and Sinai Divers at the Dahab Hilton and in Sharm (2007)). Don't know how it is since then, but I wouldn't expect many more Americans now... I realize it's not only (North-)Americans who dive INT/yoke, but I'd bet it's the vast majority...

Id think its the majority, yeah.. But some europeans is weird too.. Like the brittons :p

IT'LL BE HOT!!! But all the big stuff should be coming in to look at!

I was just there May 1-9 the bottom temp at 30m was 24c. I wore a 2pc Fourth Element Thermocline(= to a 2.5mm) and was quite happy! My DM was in a 3mm shorty and also fine. Enjoy your dives! Try Anthias divers!

Hi my hubby and I went to sharm last year with our 10 month old baby we went at the end of july to the start of august. We stayed in the Renaissance Hotel, It was my first time there, my hubby has been going for years. I was a little concerned about going. However we had a fab time! We're booking to go again this july. The hotel was fantastic. Rooms very spacious and staff super friendly and helpful. The food in this hotel was great!! Infact so good that I gained a kilo!! Ooops!! My husband is a very picky person when it comes to food and he didn't complain once! We dived with his friends company, Sharm scuba service. It was brill!! We were also able to take our baby on the boat with us, as it was a big boat very safe and secure with plenty of shade. That way we were able to all be together and take it in turns to dive. Very professional and extremly friendly. Can't wait to go back next month!

Well thats nice.. And it actually rings a bell or two from the post tho. I might have missed something but he took them to Tiran for diving when they had never been diving before?
Thats against just about everything a serious dive op in the red sea would do as far as Ive come to know. Then again, he dont come across very serious from that report, granted its truthful.

Hello all,
This has been a very informative thread! I am trying to plan a visit to Egypt to dive and to see some sites. We are using miles for the flight and Marriott points for our accomodations. Marriott has resorts in both Sharm and Hurghada. Hurghada is closer for an excursion to Luxor but which is better for diving?

In order to use my points the stars need to align. There is an opportunity in October. but after that I would have to wait until Januaryor any time after. I live in NE US and we like to get away from the winter cold. but it seems that Sharm can be chilly and the water temp is cold in January. we plan to stay two days in cairo right near the pyramids.

Any advice?

Hey Rob,

Good luck with sorting out your trip. October is a fantastic time to come over here, as the water is still warm, but the weather a little cooler than the 105ºF we are getting at the moment.

As for January, yes it can get cool, especially at night. You will be surprised to find you will need to bring long trousers and a fleecie for those chilly desert evenings. The air temperature is in the low seventies with the water being about the same. Because of this, you may find that the wind chill starts to get to you (especially if you are doing three dives a day) so a woolly hat is often a good idea between dives.

I know that may sound crazy to you with those temperatures, but it can get breezy so will feel cool after a dive.

As for the sun, it is still usually shining.. we do get a few cloudy days, but not usually enough to be a problem, and the diving is still great.

Hope you have a fantastic trip whenever you make it over.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom