Sharp dive knife that won't rust?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need suggestion of a sharp dive knife that won't rust in SW. i checked Amazon and most reviews mention rust.

I guess titanium won't rust right?

I need one to defend against sharks lol...
So gotta be strong and sharp pointed. Also for cutting cords e.t.c.... for emergencies.

Going to keep strapped to the leg.

THANKS

Are you sure that you want it strapped to your leg?

Big knife, strapped to the leg, to fight sharks - what a classic! Power to you.

To answer your question - yes titanium will not rust. However, none of my SS knives or blades ever rusted, and any decent knife that is sufficiently rinsed and perhaps sometimes greased up a bit will not rust.

Gotta go to work and not much time to do a thread search, but bottom line, your options are titanium and Spyderco brand knives that use H1 steel (not all Spydercos do), and a forum search should turn up some threads. Similar in cost. Pay attention to discussion of titanium holding an edge and what's involved in sharpening it - I think I've seen content about that before.

I have a titanium knife that looks just like new and as sharp as new for 200+ dives. That being said, I've never really used it for anything, so its edge keeping hasn't been tested really. It has a tank banger on the handle that is stainless and it hasn't shown any rust either. All I do is rinse with water a after every dive.
What get used is my stainless steel shears and it requires some attention to prevent rusting. Rinse and WD40 after every dive. I didn't realise they had them in titanium or else that is what I would have got.

Go for titanium IMO.

Titanium is good but dosent hold an edge as well as SS.

Most of my knives are SS and haven't rusted in well over a year.

Always make sure there is a thick layer of silicone grease - its magic when it comes to rust prevention. wash with fresh water after dive and leave out to dry.

I use Spyderco folder too, albeit a different type (non-serrated). Indeed, it has no rust on the blade. Curiously, though, the joint got rusty.

I probably have the same one. Sharp as a razor. Mine didn't rust anywhere though I did take the spring clip off. I didn't want to lose it as my Son gave it to me on my Birthday. Clipping it to my pocket isn't a good idea. I lost another knife that way. I clip it to my harness using a S-biner. Oh and once opened it locks in place. No matter how many times you stab something it won't close.

Back
Top Bottom