Sharp steel shavings inside barrel of new atomic first stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wondering if anyone here has seen an issue like this before and if I should be concerned. Last month I purchased an Atomic ST1 DIN regulator set. When I removed the port plugs from the first stage to attach my octopus and low pressure inflator hose, I noted several sharp steel shavings just barely attached inside the barrel of the first stage. These shavings were approximately 1/4 inch long and protruding into the first stage. They appeared to be leftover bits of steel from when the ports were drilled out. I removed the shavings that I could see, and used the regulator on a dive trip without issue. However, I have a concern about the integrity and long term safety hazards of this regulator. If additional shavings remain inside the first stage and become dislodged, is there a possibility of one making it through the hose to my second stage where it could damage the diaphram or other internal components. Is this something people have seen before. I generally considered atomic to be some really high end equipment, so finding a manufacturing defect like this surprised me. Anybody able to provide some clarity on whether my regulator is, in fact, safe to continue using.

That's not normal - contact Atomic directly about it.

It's possible one of their CNC machines had a bad cutter but they should've caught it in QC.

Afaik they still do all their own in-house machining.

I have seen this before on a different brand of regulator that went through a quality control issue for a short period of time. The metal shavings are indeed left over from the machining operations used to manufacture the first stage and there is a real danger that they could damage the internal components of the first stage, second stage or more importantly the diver.

I would have the regulator completely overhauled immediately preferably by the shop you bought it from. If you want to haggle over who pays for it contact Atomic.

My experience is that Atomic has good quality control so it is surprising to hear but not unprecedented.

I had this happen with a HOG. I complained bitterly. This is not OK, it could be dangerous, and It needs to be dealt with both with the shop you bought it from as well as Atomic directly. The shop you bought it from because they should have noticed when they attached the inflator hose and octo or safe second, and Atomic because they have a QA problem and need to see it for themselves.

And perhaps recall other regulators made that day....

I would contact the manufacturer and send it back for a refund. If the said that wasn't their policy, I'd remind them about liability and warranty laws and then tell them I wanted a prepaid return label in my email by end of business that day.

And while **** happens (as any sailor or admiral will tell you) there's no excuse for a gross failure of both the machining and the quality control. I'd reconsider whether I was going to replace the regulator with a different brand entirely.

If YOU could see it, THEY could see it. That means they just didn't look.

Thanks for all your replies. The apparent lack of QC is pretty concerning. The shaving that I removed would have been pretty hard to miss if anyone had even taken a quick glance inside before screwing on port plugs.

Just an update, I've contacted atomic directly. So far they have asked for my address in order to generate a return authorization for a warranty service. Hopefully that service will be more comprehensive than the original quality control inspection. No mention so far of who they expect to pay for shipping or if they can get the regs back to me in time for my next planned dive, but hopefully they will do the right thing. I will keep you guys updated.

Hopefully you saved the shaving but yes, every reg should be 100% inspected and what you found should have been caught prior to assembly. I don't see a need to return/exchange it but it does need to be torn down and inspected by the dealer. If there are latent machining errors, I'd expect Atomic would replace it FOC but the inspection/rebuild service should be on their dime. Errors happen during manufacturing but all should be caught and corrected prior to anything going out the door if your QC program is functioning. No excuse for this.

Oh I wouldn't be paying shipping either way. This is their screwup and I'd expect they will be sending you a pre-paid mailer to drop your entire reg set into to leave at the box. This is not something that a top tier brand will want publicity over.

Steve-
I'd also expect Atomic to pick up the tab both ways. And if they REALLY were sharp, like some companies I've dealt with, they would email you a prepaid return label by expedited service, as a minimum. A very few companies would offer to send you a new or rebuilt reg at the same time, crossing in the mail, so you would be able to dive with it perhaps three weeks sooner. (Folks who make offers like that tend to get on my short list of "preferred for life".(G)

If the manufacturer is doing their job, "rebuilt" can be as good or better than new, because in theory someone is tearing it down and paying extra attention to everything in it. As opposed to mass assembly and random qc pulls. In practice, well, we already know they missed one. Don't be afraid to ask them for *outstanding* customer service, or a refund if you're not happy with them.

Steve-
I'd also expect Atomic to pick up the tab both ways. And if they REALLY were sharp, like some companies I've dealt with, they would email you a prepaid return label by expedited service, as a minimum. A very few companies would offer to send you a new or rebuilt reg at the same time, crossing in the mail, so you would be able to dive with it perhaps three weeks sooner. (Folks who make offers like that tend to get on my short list of "preferred for life".(G)

If the manufacturer is doing their job, "rebuilt" can be as good or better than new, because in theory someone is tearing it down and paying extra attention to everything in it. As opposed to mass assembly and random qc pulls. In practice, well, we already know they missed one. Don't be afraid to ask them for *outstanding* customer service, or a refund if you're not happy with them.

It's funny, I have a very similar "preferred for life" program! Hopefully they do the right thing here. I can overlook the odd manufacturing defect in life support equipment if I end up with a product I know I can trust, but not if it's not coupled with some pretty top tier customer service. There's a reason I splurged and invested as much as I did with this regulator set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom