Sharp steel shavings inside barrel of new atomic first stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did this turn out? Atomic has been very responsive in my contact with them.
As noted by others, this is a QC issue that was just plain missed. I hope (indeed, I expect) that Atomic will have taken your regs back for a full inspection/rebuild at their expense. Did you save pics? Shavings?

I will be very surprised if this wasn't handled by Atomic at no cost to you. I wouldn't involve your shop, but would go direct to mfr.
Thanks for checking in. I did end up sending the regs in for inspection/service at the end of April, and after a bit of prodding (aka sending them a link to this post) Atomic customer support sent me a label to use for shipping.

I was actually pretty surprised that customer service wasn't more responsive. Even after my regs were delivered, I had to call and email two different reps to expedite processing beyond my origninally quoted 3 week turnaround time. Luckily it seems I finally got through to them because I received a notice yesterday that they had been shipped back out to me. Including shipping, total turnaround time will be about two and a half weeks before they get delivered here.

Hoping there's some kind of note in the box because I've yet to receive any kind of communication from Atomic about what, if anything, they found on inspection.

what makes you think they were steel shavings as opposed to chromed brass shavings?

what makes you think they were steel shavings as opposed to chromed brass shavings?
The ease by which they drew blood when I held one of them! Plus They were still partially attached to the barrel of the stainless first stage (picture drilling through metal and leaving shards protruding in the direction of drilling).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom