Shaving a Tokina 10-17 mm for full frame DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sophie_chisasibi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi !
I am mounting a kit form a Canon 5d (oldest one not Mark II) with an Aquatica housing.
My wide angle lense will be a tokina 10-17 mm.

apparently, results are better with a ''shaved`` lense :

Shaved or original Tokina 10-17 mounted on a full-frame Canon 5D- Shaved Nikkor/Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye - Shaved Sigma 10mm Fisheye - Shaved Samyang 8mm Fisheye

I only found this web site form Germany who is doing it for 50euro+ shipping
;
anybody who had this done by them ?
By someone else ?

Is that complicated ?
Thank

Never knew this could be done! Very cool!

ANy site that explains how to "do it yourself"?

This is a wonderful lens for cropped sensor cameras; it has a built in lens hood to reduce flare and to anchor a lens cap. However, on a full frame sensor camera like the 5D, the lens will vignette from 10-14mm, partly due to the built in hood and partly due to the small image circle of the lens - it is after all designed for cropped sensor cameras, not full frame. You can reduce this effect, but not eliminate it, by cutting off the built in hood. After cutting off the hood, the image circle is larger and fills the frame by 13mm, instead of 14mm. That does not sound like much, but at wide angles that is a huge difference. So, yes, it works, but not perfectly. And you need a modified lens cap. [And your lens warranty is probably void!]

I personally would rather do this sort of operation by disassembling the lens so that the lens barrel with the hood on it could be cut off without risk of scratching the glass or dropping debris into the lens innards. I am not sure how these people do it, but it sounds like they don't disassemble, they are just very careful.

I have a good friend who is a wizard with lenses. I'll ask him if he would be willing to do this mod, and cost. I know he would want to disassemble the lens to do this, that's how he is. He's in Nevada, so there would be a savings in time and shipping cost versus Germany. But frankly 50 euros is cheap, I don't know if he could do this for the equivalent of US$ 64. Worth a query.

Stay tuned.

Hi,

I'm Tobias and I'm the shaver from Germany :)

anybody who had this done by them ?

Germany:
ww.panorama-community.net/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2929

France:
ww.panophoto.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4236

International:
ww.panoguide.com/forums/tipsntricks/7381/

Copy and paste and write one w more :)

I hope these are enough!

And I do a save shave, you have no risk!

Kind regards
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Just out of curiosity, how long does the job take (plus shipping, of course).

Thanks!

4 weeks.

With first class mail ( airplane ) 2 weeks to Germany and 2 weeks back to USA with DHL. But no express shipping, the german customs makes me problems.

Grtz Tobias

Since you end up with the equivalent of a 14 mm lens anyway, my much preferred solution is to simply add a 1.4 tele to the back of the lens. Brilliant results on a 5DMII. And you can sell the lens later. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom