Shears and Pocket Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pgraham11

Reaction score
I have a few questions I'd like opnions on...

First, can anybody suggest a good place to get some shears and a good sheath to put them in online (doesn't have to be the same place)?

And the related question, where would be the best place to store them, given that I have a bp/wings setup.

And another related question, where would be a good place to store other "emergency items" such as a whistle, signal mirror, etc... I was thinking a pocket, but I don't have one. I know you can buy the ones that attach to a drysuit (maybe even a wetsuit), but what I'm wearing varies depending on where I'm at. Rather then attach a pocket to each one, is there a good pocket available that would work with bp/wings, and maybe velcro around my thigh?

Thanks!

I use Sea Snips, made by Aqua I believe, and they come with a nylon sheath that has a belt loop on it. So You can mount them somewhere on the webbing of your harness. I mount mine on the webbing that comes across the top of my Ranger's cummberbound. They are very easy to get to and to put back up here. What's more is that they are cheap, $12.95 at Leisure Pro (SKU# AQUSSC).

You can put a short piece of string on a whistle and hang it from a D-ring, or you could buy one of the Diver Alerts. As far as pockets, you can buy accessorie pockets and attach them to your harness as well. I know Zeagle, Dive-Rite, and others make pockets that you could probably modify to make them work. Halcyon may make one specifically for a harness, not sure.

Well, with a BP and harness, you should have a knife on your left hip waist strap. You could put the sissors right next to your knife. You can buy a pocket specifically for the harness that goes on your right waist strap from Halcyon (well, not directly). You can put all your goodies inside the pocket.

Mike

Here's a pocket:

http://h2oadventuregear.com/tek/accessories.html

Maybe this is an undesireable set-up, but I attached my Sea Snips sheath upside-down with zip-ties to my right harness strap, just below my shoulder (left as you are looking at me). This allows me to access easily with my left or right hand. I use a Dive Rite Transpac II BC.

I didn't know that the left hip waist strap was the appropriate place for a knife - I don't own one yet - but if I got one was considering a leg holster (inside my right calf). Does this create too much on an entanglement potential?

IMO, a knife and/or shears should be within reach of your arms. I certainly wouldn't put anything of the sort on my legs, not only for entanglement reasons, but accessability as well. With a harness set up for serious caving or wreck diving, your shoulder straps will have stages and/or backup lights there, so shoulder straps are not a place for a knife or shears either. Also, the knife doesn't have to be a bowie knife either -- smaller the better (3" blade or so).

Actually, I guess it would be left frontal for the knife on a harness. Some guys put it on the right waist strap and hook their long hose on it which is OK too. I have done it this way too. If you have a cannister light or a bag on the right, you can hook the long hose on those too. I don't have the waist strap bag since I have a pocket on my drysuit.

Take care.

Mike

Well,

I have a buck tiburon knife and the dive rite shears on my bc. Both are on the chest straps, one on each side. The buck is on the left and the shears on the right. I bought both local for very good prices.

Ed

Call me paranoid if you wish but I have a knife on my left shoulder strap, sea snips on the waist strap (next to spare mask) and knife on my left leg. Thinking about it they are all on the left side so maybe I'll move one to the right.....

Sea snips are definitely one of the better value for money pieces of equipment (one could almost say cheap) along with mini-q 40's.

Jonathan

SS Snips at big lots for $1.99,on the left shoulder,Remora on the belt ,left side,line cutter on right.A 2.25 in bike tube is about $3 holds any danglies tight,also good for smoothing anything that needs it(see Halcyon bladders)

Ok, I'll bit. You're paranoid, Jonathan! :D :wink:

I haven't taken a knife out of its sheath in years. Not sure if I ever have underwater. The sissors come in handy on the boat a lot though.

Take care.

Mike

I have a similar setup and have the knife on the webbing on the left side, or just put the sea snips in there. I can recommend the Halcyon pocket that goes on the right side, it is zippered. Since I am almost always wearing the same wetsuit, I am probably going to put pockets on it. Overall, I like that better. I have always had trouble getting to stuff in pockets that are offset to the rear.

Dive Rite makes a strap on pocket that attaches to the webbing around your waist and then velcros around your leg. I am looking at those also. They go for 30 or so at Leisure Pro.

Tommy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom