Shears and Pocket Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I don't even worry about a knife and solely depend on the shears. Shears are much more useful as they don't really get dull and you do not need as much tension to cut through line. Furthermore, it is more effective on synthetic lines such as Spiderwire or Fireline, and it also can cut through heavily longline monofilament line that knifes would have a hard time with. Also, as someone mentioned, it is great to have topside and I use it all the time in my garage when rigging stuff. Simple, easy, effective.
I have mine on my left waist strap of the harness slid near the center. I have the diverite shears as it has a really small sheath, but the handles of the shears are bright red which make ID easy. If my buddy needs them he can see them a mile away against the black background of my wetsuit/drysuit and other black gear.

Hello,

this may be true but knives are mostly for use on your 'buddy' :wink:

Ed

Since you asked, I sell some on my site. Yes I know this is self serving, but you did ask. They are $9.95 + S&H, come in four colors, and the sheath is included.

http://home.ec.rr.com/tholt/shears.html

I usually carry mine on my weight belt. (There is a belt loop on the back. If I didn't do that I'd probably either hose mount them or zip tie them to my BC. You could put them in a pocket but then you might have trouble getting them out in case of an entanglement.

I have a set of sea snips and a small knife in a nylon sheath. I took the knife sheath and the sea snips sheath into a seamstress and had the knife sheath sewn to the front flap of the sea snips sheath. The waist strap of my plate fits through the sea snip sheath and are both in easy reach.

JoelW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom